How do you keep similar calibers apart?

This is a discussion on How do you keep similar calibers apart? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am building an AR in .204 Ruger and will reload shells for it as well as .223 for a different AR. I will be ...

Thread: How do you keep similar calibers apart?

How do you keep similar calibers apart?

I am building an AR in .204 Ruger and will reload shells for it as well as .223 for a different AR. I will be taking them for prairie dogs this summer and am worried about dropping a .204 in the .223 and vise versa. Any suggestions about marking etc? I haven't come across nickel cases in either .223 or .204. I wonder what could easily mark the case and not allow for mixups. Any help would be appreciated.

Any tips for loading .204 Ruger would also be appreciated.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Separate containers of different color , or a large bright color code for your reloaded ammo is always a good idea.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yep, use different color containers for your ammo. My magnums are blue, my 45 are brown, and some others are red.

Once you build a box put a label on the top of it with the grain, type of powder and the powder charge. It is much easier to remember which ones shoot good or not when it is right there in front of you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I keep my ammo separated in different military ammo cans that are boldly marked on top.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

I've seen several shooters at CAS matches mark the headstamp area of their cases with a colored magic marker either to make sure that they only get their own brass back or to mark "hot" loads for the plate racks.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I've seen several shooters at CAS matches mark the headstamp area of their cases with a colored magic marker either to make sure that they only get their own brass back or to mark "hot" loads for the plate racks.

Hoss
    Does the marker burn off after being fired? Is it just a colored sharpie or is it nail polish? I was wondering the tolerance of either one to being fired.
    BTW I like the idea of using color to separate different shooters brass, thanks!
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Does the marker burn off after being fired? Is it just a colored sharpie or is it nail polish? I was wondering the tolerance of either one to being fired.
    BTW I like the idea of using color to separate different shooters brass, thanks!
    They use a sharpie and you can wipe it off afterwards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I use the Magic Marker method. It works well for me. Also, I code the loadings with a different color. Example: .45ACP with 185gr HP and 8.3 gr Unique= Black casehead/Red tip on bullet. .45ACP with 185HP and 5gr Promo=Black casehead/Blue tip on bullet.

Hey! It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    No, it doesn't burn off from firing. A lot of BP shooters use this method to mark their brass. BP burns much hotter than smokeless and doesn't burn it off the brass. While I haven't used the markers to mark for caliber, I have on occasion used the markers to mark for bullet weight and it will eventually come off as you tumble your brass but should remain just fine up to that point.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links