New to the game.

This is a discussion on New to the game. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So, I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker off a family member($100) It came with a set of .357/.38 and 9mm dies. I'm excited to get ...

Thread: New to the game.

New to the game.

So, I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker off a family member($100) It came with a set of .357/.38 and 9mm dies. I'm excited to get started, but have a few questions. The kit orginally came with a Speer reloading manual. It was sold by said family member. I would like a manual and want to know if you guys have a few suggestions. Is the Speer book a good resource? Also, being completly new to this stuff, I want to be AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE!! Are there any videos out there to help a guy out? I'm not trying to reload 1,000 rounds in a weekend at this point. I just want to start slowly and make sure I'm doing things right. Any other bits of advice to a novice??
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes, very good one. You can buy them online or at any store that carries reloading supplies. Check all the posts in this sub forum first and then come back and ask anything that may not be clear.

As for books, you can go ahead and buy Amazon.com: Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert: Bill Chevalier: Books. Maybe the best starter book out there.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Usually, the bullet manufacturers have the most comprehensive reloading guides. The Speer book you have should be a good resource, since the calibers, you are reloading for, have been around for a while. I prefer the Hornady guides. I also like the Loadbook guides. They are little, notebook type, caliber specific, manuals with a compilation of all of the different bullet and powder manufacturers published load data.

I like to verify all my loads from two sources.

I use the Speer Manual and the Lyman manual.

Cool

I use the Speer and the Hornady reloading books and cross reference them both when working up a new load. I use W296 powder for .38/.357 and W231 for 9mm loads. Before you setout and load 1,000 rounds you may want to do some experimenting to find the right loads that work for your guns. There are many variables and it takes a while to settle upon just the right combination of ingredients. In fact, you may want to have a plinking load and a SD load for each gun. Full strength loads are wasteful for plinking especially in today's world where powder and supplies are so hard to find. Good luck, I know you'll enjoy your new hobby.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

VIP Member
    Seriously, since you want to be safe... get some clear safety glasses! It's a safety item often overlooked.
    I too use the Speer manual... I think the latest is # 14.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Reloading manuals are great and you can never have too many. That said, I'll give you the advice I give anyone, whether new to reloading or an old hand at it. Once you've decided on the powder you want to use and are looking for actual load data, go to the powder manufacturers web site for the latest information. If you buy more than one reloading manual, the first thing you'll notice is that they all show slightly different data for the same caliber/bullet combination. The dangerous component in reloading is the powder and I'm a firm believer that the manufacturer of that powder is the one he has tested it the most extensively.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links