Finally going to get started...but still can't decide what's right for me...

This is a discussion on Finally going to get started...but still can't decide what's right for me... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; there are many different types/brands of reloading press on the market. i use a 1980 model dillion 550 for pistol and two 1970's model single ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally going to get started...but still can't decide what's right for me...

there are many different types/brands of reloading press on the market. i use a 1980 model dillion 550 for pistol and two 1970's model single stage press for rifle cals. i have found for the rifle the single stage works better.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I started out reloading shotgun for my kid when he was shooting skeet. I learned on a MEC9000 progressive, and wouldn't have it any other way. As soon as Uncle Sam sends me tax money, I am springing for either a Dillon 550 or 650, still trying to decide.

I don't see the sense in spending money on a single stage press only to outgrow it in a short period of time.

My $.03 (adjusted for inflation).
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    there are many different types/brands of reloading press on the market. i use a 1980 model dillion 550 for pistol and two 1970's model single stage press for rifle cals. i have found for the rifle the single stage works better.
    I concur. I use a Redding boss single stage pres for all my rifle rounds. I like doing rifle rounds on the single stage press. I feel like I am able to be more precise. Each charge gets measured individually and fine tuned with a trickler. It takes time on the single stage but I've never had a failure of any kind. And my handloads shoot soooo much better than the factory stuff. Pistol ammo is loaded on a Dillon 550.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I would get a turret for the rifle and a progressive for the handgun if possible or get the turret if only one is possible. With your high volume shooting your equipment should pay itself off in no time.

With the 550 you can load one round at a time or once you figure out what your doing turn one out with every pull of the handle,you can also load rifle rounds on the 550,I use mine to crank out 223
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links