Defensive Carry banner

Just started reloading

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  showmebob 
#1 ·
Hello all. I finally got my first press and loaded 50 rnds of 40 s&w the other night. feels good to be saving money and having a reason to spend more time with my gun stuff! I'm starting out with a Hornady single stage and one set of dies. I figure if things go well i will have to get some more dies and do them all. And maybe later on i'll start casting. i already have a five gallon bucket full of wheel weights sitting around.

anyway, my question is this. What velicity should i be loading for on the 40 cal? What considerations should i be taking when making this decision? what are the ups and downs of a slower or faster bullet? seams to me slower means less powder, means less money and less wear and tear on the pistol. what do you think?

adam

#2 ·
I reload 5 grains of unique behind a 155 grn LRN bullet,you should get about 1400 rounds per pound of powder and they don't shoot to bad,always start out on low end of powder charge and work up never exceeding maximum

#3 ·
Do yourself a favor real quick, and follow the reloading guides religiously, espeially when you are just starting out!

After you get some practice and a feel for it, then you can experiment. One tool you will definitely need for your hobby is a good chronograph. Start your loads out within the recommended guidelines, then go to the range and chrono your loads to see where you are at.

And remember, when you reload, let nothing distract you! keep your eyes on what you are doing, because you don't want any Kabooms....

#5 ·
And remember, when you reload, let nothing distract you! keep your eyes on what you are doing, because you don't want any Kabooms....
+1!! No eating, watching TV, talking on the phone, and for God's sake, no smoking. Also, eye protection is a must.:hand5:

#4 ·
I just got done with my first batch of reloads. I read the ABC's of Reloading and went out and got a Lee press with a set of 9MM die.
Reloaded 5 rounds and went out and fired them. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Then went back inside and loaded 200 more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.