Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a 40S&W Plinking recipe

15K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Miggy 
#1 ·
I went to Alliants website, and the only recipes they have for 40S&W use Speer GDHP bullets. Those seem a little too pricy for a plinking round.

Could use a little help,

Mike

#2 ·
I am using a home-cast 180 Gr bullet from the Magma mold, lubed with white label 50/50, WLP and 2.9 grs of Clays. this gives a power factor of 129 and drops the brass at my feet.

At 15 yards I can keep all the rounds inside a B-34 target 10 ring ( 2 inches)

B-34(P)
Target Paper
14" x 24"
25 Yard
Police Pistol Silhouette
(Reduced from 50 yard B-27)

I shoot this in a G23, G22, and a G35, They all are using a Storm Lake barrel

#3 ·
I like to use Berry's plated bullets. Since you don't state how much experience you have with reloading it is hard to give advice. You don't have to use the same bullet as the formula calls for, just the same weight bullet. Load plated bullets to formula for such and cast bullets for cast bullet formulas.

#4 ·
Well,

I have been reloading shotshell for several years, but am just getting into handgun reloading. I have a Dillon 650 on order, hoping to have it in a week or so.

#5 ·
That is what I was thinking. You can use any bullet for your formula that weighs the same. Solid lead bullets (or cast) need to be loaded differently. They are generally loaded lighter so they catch the riflings and not just push out the barrel. Low cost bulk bullets like Berry's or Rainier work great for plinking. Just buy them in the same weight as the formula calls for. It is best to start your loads at 10% less powder than your formula calls for. You can then work up from there to find what works best for your gun. My favorite plinking load (40 S+W) is a 135 gr. Rainier FP using Hodgdon Clays at 4.2 gr.. Clays has less kick and burns clean. I have never tried cast bullets out of my 40 but I plan to. I shoot them out of my 44 regularly. P.S. Make sure to set your dies for very little or no crimp or they may not cycle in a semi-auto.

#12 ·
...P.S. Make sure to set your dies for very little or no crimp or they may not cycle in a semi-auto.
Granted I am new at this, but I am going to have to disagree with that statement.

Full power loads or light loads, setback is still critical.

I use Ranier plated 180gr for my practice loads, and they are as close to factory power as I can get. I had to set the cripmp slightly tighter than OE recommendations (Lee Loadmaster and Lee factory crimp die) due to setback issues. I could take a finished round and lightly tap the round on the rim and would get significant setback. I did not even bother to see what happened when I cycled it in my weapon. If light tapping was enough, then cycling and even transporting the ammo is going to cause setback.

IMO other than inexpensive bullets, I would set the powder charge to be as close to your SD rounds as possible.

#13 ·
I use 155 RNL produced by a guy locally, and sold by the Gun Range where I do all my shooting. 500 for 25.00, with 4.3 of Bullseye.

#20 ·
dukalmighty wrote:

That load seems really low. What gun do you use it in? Do you change recoil springs or anything for it to function properly?
I'm shooting it out of a Sig 2022 4"bbl factory no alterations, It is a snappy little round,It is very accurate and I have 0 problems with FTF FTE

#9 ·
I have used hp38, titegroup, and longshot for my .40.

For plinking I used a 175 gr SWC cast bullet on top of 4 grs of titegroup (I think, check the Hodgon website for official numbers).

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

I have also used longshot and HS6 for 155 gr HP. They are smoking hot! You can get some real high velocities with longshot without exceeding max pressure. Around 1250 for the 155 grs.

There are lots of good choices out there, but for hodgdon powder titegroup seems to give the best bang for you buck.

#10 ·
Gun: Glock 23 with a KKM Precision barrel.
Bullet: Zero .40 cal 180 TCFM.
Powder: 6.2 grains of Accurate #5
Primer: Winchester WSP.
Brass: Used Speer.
Bullet Seat: 28.28mm
Velocity: 792 fps over my old Pro-Tach chronograph.
Dies: RCBS
Press: Dillon 550 (one of the first made)

i got several others, but they are in the reloading room. this load is a easy load to shoot and it has a tight group. cross reference this load with yours book.

#11 ·
Anyone have a good source for WSP primers? All of the 40S&W loads listed in the 49th Edition Lyman's calls for WSP's.

#15 ·
Well I found 5,000 WSP for about $30 over online, but no hazmat or shipping so I think it is a wash. I also picked up 8# of Unique, so all I need is some bullets and I will be ready to go when the press arrives.

#17 ·
Finally settled on a recipe to start with:

- 180 JHP Berry's Plated
- 4.9-5.6 gr's Unique
-Winchester WSP Primer

Went with 180 gr JHP as that is what I carry for SD ammo.

Straight out of Lyman's 49th. Just waiting on the press and the bullets to get here and I can get started. Figured out my per unit cost, comes to $.154/round, about 1/2 the price of WWB at wallyworld (without the brass).

Next I am looking for a decent chrono to try and replicate the SD ammo performance.

Gotta like the free shipping from Berry's.

Thanks all for the help.

#19 ·
Just read through this thread. You can use the Rainiers for any load listed for Jacketed Bullets. Hodgdon and Alliant both have websites where you can get data for 135 gr. bullets. Hodgdon gives data for all their powders (Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester). I personally use mostly Hodgdon powders because I load my favorite shotgun loads with these. My plinking loads are usually loaded with Clays or Universal because of less recoil. I have loaded with several different powders but have found Clays to be my favorite for recoil and clean burning. This probably isn't much help but I load for my comfort while shooting 100 plus rounds while at the range.

#21 ·
Just read through this thread. You can use the Rainiers for any load listed for Jacketed Bullets. Hodgdon and Alliant both have websites where you can get data for 135 gr. bullets. Hodgdon gives data for all their powders (Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester). I personally use mostly Hodgdon powders because I load my favorite shotgun loads with these. My plinking loads are usually loaded with Clays or Universal because of less recoil. I have loaded with several different powders but have found Clays to be my favorite for recoil and clean burning. This probably isn't much help but I load for my comfort while shooting 100 plus rounds while at the range.
From Rainier's web site:
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.
From Berry's web site:
Is separation a problem with Plated Bullets?
Separation is very rare. Two things can cause a jacket to separate from the lead core: excessive speeds (magnum velocities) and a real tight roll crimp (cuts through the plating). If you'll keep these two items in check you shouldn't have a problem with bullet separation.

How fast can I shoot these bullets?
Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.
Hoss

#23 ·
No problem. I do the same thing sometimes and it would be pretty hard to exceed their specs on a 40 S&W anyway but when I saw your post thought I better stick a clarification out there before someone loaded up a 1800 fps .357 load with a plated bullet.

Hoss

#25 ·
And I quote from the disclaimer a top of this sub forum:

We strongly recommend that in most cases quoted loads be derived from recognized loading manuals and if possible these should be referenced. Where loads do not have back-up reference data available, for instance with use of an unusual powder, then posters are asked to please detail their method for establishing their data. Irresponsible publishing of unsubstantiated ''guestimated'' data is deprecated and may be heavily moderated.

Just a friendly reminder :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.