Looking for a 40S&W Plinking recipe

This is a discussion on Looking for a 40S&W Plinking recipe within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I went to Alliants website, and the only recipes they have for 40S&W use Speer GDHP bullets. Those seem a little too pricy for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 40S&W Plinking recipe

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

I went to Alliants website, and the only recipes they have for 40S&W use Speer GDHP bullets. Those seem a little too pricy for a plinking round.

Could use a little help,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I am using a home-cast 180 Gr bullet from the Magma mold, lubed with white label 50/50, WLP and 2.9 grs of Clays. this gives a power factor of 129 and drops the brass at my feet.

At 15 yards I can keep all the rounds inside a B-34 target 10 ring ( 2 inches)

B-34(P)
    Target Paper
    14" x 24"
    25 Yard
    Police Pistol Silhouette
    (Reduced from 50 yard B-27)

I shoot this in a G23, G22, and a G35, They all are using a Storm Lake barrel

I like to use Berry's plated bullets. Since you don't state how much experience you have with reloading it is hard to give advice. You don't have to use the same bullet as the formula calls for, just the same weight bullet. Load plated bullets to formula for such and cast bullets for cast bullet formulas.

Well,

I have been reloading shotshell for several years, but am just getting into handgun reloading. I have a Dillon 650 on order, hoping to have it in a week or so.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

That is what I was thinking. You can use any bullet for your formula that weighs the same. Solid lead bullets (or cast) need to be loaded differently. They are generally loaded lighter so they catch the riflings and not just push out the barrel. Low cost bulk bullets like Berry's or Rainier work great for plinking. Just buy them in the same weight as the formula calls for. It is best to start your loads at 10% less powder than your formula calls for. You can then work up from there to find what works best for your gun. My favorite plinking load (40 S+W) is a 135 gr. Rainier FP using Hodgdon Clays at 4.2 gr.. Clays has less kick and burns clean. I have never tried cast bullets out of my 40 but I plan to. I shoot them out of my 44 regularly. P.S. Make sure to set your dies for very little or no crimp or they may not cycle in a semi-auto.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I shoot 155Gr. cast LRN on top of either 4.9 Gr. HP-38/ WW231 or, 6.0 Gr. UNIQUE.

Or: 165 Gr. cast LRN on top of 5.6 Gr. Unique. I get my bullets from Oregon Trail.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

i load 155 grn cast behind 5.0 grns unique
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    dukalmighty wrote:
    i load 155 grn cast behind 5.0 grns unique
    That load seems really low. What gun do you use it in? Do you change recoil springs or anything for it to function properly?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have used hp38, titegroup, and longshot for my .40.

For plinking I used a 175 gr SWC cast bullet on top of 4 grs of titegroup (I think, check the Hodgon website for official numbers).

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

I have also used longshot and HS6 for 155 gr HP. They are smoking hot! You can get some real high velocities with longshot without exceeding max pressure. Around 1250 for the 155 grs.

There are lots of good choices out there, but for hodgdon powder titegroup seems to give the best bang for you buck.

Gun: Glock 23 with a KKM Precision barrel.
    Bullet: Zero .40 cal 180 TCFM.
    Powder: 6.2 grains of Accurate #5
    Primer: Winchester WSP.
    Brass: Used Speer.
    Bullet Seat: 28.28mm
    Velocity: 792 fps over my old Pro-Tach chronograph.
    Dies: RCBS
    Press: Dillon 550 (one of the first made)

i got several others, but they are in the reloading room. this load is a easy load to shoot and it has a tight group. cross reference this load with yours book.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Anyone have a good source for WSP primers? All of the 40S&W loads listed in the 49th Edition Lyman's calls for WSP's.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by trapper T View Post
    ...P.S. Make sure to set your dies for very little or no crimp or they may not cycle in a semi-auto.
    Granted I am new at this, but I am going to have to disagree with that statement.

Full power loads or light loads, setback is still critical.

I use Ranier plated 180gr for my practice loads, and they are as close to factory power as I can get. I had to set the cripmp slightly tighter than OE recommendations (Lee Loadmaster and Lee factory crimp die) due to setback issues. I could take a finished round and lightly tap the round on the rim and would get significant setback. I did not even bother to see what happened when I cycled it in my weapon. If light tapping was enough, then cycling and even transporting the ammo is going to cause setback.

IMO other than inexpensive bullets, I would set the powder charge to be as close to your SD rounds as possible.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I shoot 155Gr. cast LRN on top of either 4.9 Gr. HP-38/ WW231 or, 6.0 Gr. UNIQUE.

Or: 165 Gr. cast LRN on top of 5.6 Gr. Unique. I get my bullets from Oregon Trail.

I use 155 RNL produced by a guy locally, and sold by the Gun Range where I do all my shooting. 500 for 25.00, with 4.3 of Bullseye.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Granted I am new at this, but I am going to have to disagree with that statement.

Full power loads or light loads, setback is still critical.

I use Ranier plated 180gr for my practice loads, and they are as close to factory power as I can get. I had to set the cripmp slightly tighter than OE recommendations (Lee Loadmaster and Lee factory crimp die) due to setback issues. I could take a finished round and lightly tap the round on the rim and would get significant setback. I did not even bother to see what happened when I cycled it in my weapon. If light tapping was enough, then cycling and even transporting the ammo is going to cause setback.

IMO other than inexpensive bullets, I would set the powder charge to be as close to your SD rounds as possible.
    I would agree with this whole post. Not sure why more crimp would fail to cycle rounds?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well I found 5,000 WSP for about $30 over online, but no hazmat or shipping so I think it is a wash. I also picked up 8# of Unique, so all I need is some bullets and I will be ready to go when the press arrives.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links