What powder? And a few other questions

This is a discussion on What powder? And a few other questions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey all, I am just starting to get into reloading. I purchase a used Dillon 550 press. I am going at this on my own ...

Thread: What powder? And a few other questions

Hey all, I am just starting to get into reloading. I purchase a used Dillon 550 press. I am going at this on my own as I do not have anyone to "show me the ropes". I have everything set up, brass is cleaned, and I am ready to go.

I will be starting off reloading 9mm.

What would be a good brand of powder to start with?
    What are the best (cheapest) websites for powder and bullets?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    What are you reloading for? A number of people I shoot IDPA with swear by VV310 in 9mm for competition. Unique is nice in that it is useful for a lot of different rounds. Midway USA and Powder Valley are good places to start looking for components.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    What are you reloading for? A number of people I shoot IDPA with swear by VV310 in 9mm for competition. Unique is nice in that it is useful for a lot of different rounds. Midway USA and Powder Valley are good places to start looking for components.
    Just want to load up some range rounds.

Senior Moderator
    Accurate #5 works well for medium loads in most pistol calibers.
    For targets, its pretty much all I use anymore.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I like Accurate #2. I find it burns a little cleaner and faster than #5. They both work good with the powder measure, though.

Get your powder and primers locally unless you are going to buy enough to offset the Haz Mat shipping fee in taxes.

I started with Hogden Universal, which did fine, then switched to Accurate only because they had a specific recipe for my Ranier Bullets.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Unique is my powder of choice for just about all my handgun loadings including the 9mm.

I've not done a lot of experimentation with various propellant powders in the 9mm. Unique seems to give top performance with APPARENTLY less pressures in all my auto pistol cartridges from .25 ACP to .45 ACP. Even my 9mm Luger likes Unique fueled loads.

I like Bullseye myself.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

+1 on AA2; it is just about the cleanest powder out there for target loads or something you want to use in an IDPA match. Winchester 231 is another really good powder as well.

Just make sure if you are loading 9mm to check those rounds with a chamber gauge before you start throwing rounds into the bag! be advised that since 9mm is a tapered case, after you load it 2 or three times the cases will begin to "bell out" around the rim, which will cause the round to jam up in the chamber, and they are very difficult to get loose.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've gotten by with 231. A recent batch with titegroup seemed to work well also.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Another +1 to Winchester 231. I use it to load 9mm, .40 and .45 rite now. Also look at HP38, same load data as Win231, and sometimes a little cheaper.

SY

I buy from Powder Valley. Powder Valley, Inc. They have the cheapest price I have found, and I only leave 15 miles away. Check your powder loads. 9mm is a small case that leaves little remove for mistakes. Here is another web site to get more reloading info Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource, but try to find more the one person on there that used the same loads. ALWAYS work your loads up to the max. NEVER start there. Max loads very from gun to gun. A friend and I shoot the same gun, but he show pressure before I did.

Sponsored Links