joining the ranks

joining the ranks

This is a discussion on joining the ranks within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; just placed an order today of a lee turret deluke kit....my first press i also threw in a 4die set for .45acp, 100 fmj 230 ...

Thread: joining the ranks

joining the ranks

just placed an order today of a lee turret deluke kit....my first press i also threw in a 4die set for .45acp, 100 fmj 230 grain bullets, and 100 cases, a hand primer tool, and most important the lee manual, shoud give me some good readin......ill have to see how this all works, the only thing ive ever done that resembles reloading is shooting cap and ball rifles and revolvers......any advice, or pointers on what to watch for, or pay a little closer attension to in the book would be greatly apreciated, all i have left now is to get some powder and primers, and ill be ready to go everythings on backorder through midway usa, so ill have some time to do some research, and get the powder and primers together

As a relative newcomer to reloading I'd say get another book (or several) and another opinion on what MOST people tell you about reloading. I reloaded 25 years ago with the help of a friend who was very well respected and knowledgeable. After reading the Speer manual, well, I guess I'm lucky to have hands and functioning guns. Take it very slow and make a point to educate yourself. Don't be in a rush, be precise and enjoy. Welcome to something that takes more time out of your life than TV (and is a whole lot more fun).

The Lee Reloading manual is a good place to start. I have reloaded since 1975. He is a entertaining writer, and has good information. Get several manuals. Most are done by bullet mfg, reloading mfg, and powder mfg. I use the Speer, Lyman, and Lee. All are a little different. I use Round Nose lead to pratice with in 32, 380, 40, and 45. Lyman has more info on cast bullets rounds than most of the others, but still not all of them.

Have fun with it. It ends up not saving you money, just lets you shoot more......

Also before any Dillion guys jump you, I use a Lee loadmaster and have had really good service out of it. Go to....

The Load Master Zone

It is mainly for Loadmaster, but has information on the Lee Turret also.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

jfl
    I have used a Lee turret since 1984 for my handgun ammo and a basic RCBS for rifle.
    I believe in using a separate primer tool to seat the primers.
    You'll enjoy it.
    The next step is a tumbler to polish the brass, and then you can get into casing your own bullets...

Just make sure you don't mix the components: a "small rifle primer" is the same size as a "small pistol primer" but they are different.

And don't get close to max loads untill you gain more experience.
    I weigh all "hot" loads, automatic powder measures are accurate but not accurate enough at the edge of the envelope.

Have fun !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    As a relative newcomer to reloading I'd say get another book (or several) and another opinion on what MOST people tell you about reloading. I reloaded 25 years ago with the help of a friend who was very well respected and knowledgeable. After reading the Speer manual, well, I guess I'm lucky to have hands and functioning guns. Take it very slow and make a point to educate yourself. Don't be in a rush, be precise and enjoy. Welcome to something that takes more time out of your life than TV (and is a whole lot more fun).
    #1 on what showmebob and tankdriver said
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Links