SHTF and plinking .223

SHTF and plinking .223

This is a discussion on SHTF and plinking .223 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I finally got around to unpacking some stuff in the garage ( I moved two years ago) and found a few hundred .223 and ...

SHTF and plinking .223

So I finally got around to unpacking some stuff in the garage ( I moved two years ago) and found a few hundred .223 and 5.56x45 cases. I have probably half a pound of Reloder15 left and I am in a quandry. I have 200 55grain FMJBT and some CCI military primers. I have a rifle and a carbine, both heavy barrels with 1:9 twist.

So....... Do I go to the trouble of sitting down and slowly working for the best load (consuming consumables) for each rifle, or, drop a low to midrange charge in them and box them up for the zombies?

Hurricane season is on its way!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

My load data is showing a start weight of 25.3 grains of reloader 15 pushing about 3083 fps,1/2 pound of powder will load about 135 to 140 rounds and will probably group good enough fer zombies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks!
    I don't have my manuals handy but I was thinking I had seen a low end of about 24.7 and a high of something like 27.2 so I was figuring low to mid 25 range.
    Of course I wouldn't drop a single grain without verify that range first!

Now I have to find a local source of 15! My Bass Pro has ( I think) 2 and 7 on the shelf but don't carry the 15! I also have some .308 I need to put together.

aliantpowder.com will have data for you for free. Use 55-64gr in a 9 inch twist. My general purpose bullet is the Winchester 64gr PP. A bit more expensive than 55gr ball, but worth it.

Use up the last bit of powder to get a good load. Then spend $150 and have a keg shipped to you from Graf's or PV. Will probably end up being cheaper than getting it from BP.

Grafs is in MO and PV is in KS, so shipping to TX will be around $15 plus HazMat. Take catalog price and add $35 to cover HMF and shipping. Buy whoever is cheapest.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Back when I was shooting competitions I used Black Hills 62 grain moly coated match loads. I still have a couple of boxes I am saving for special occasions. That stuff is sickeningly accurate.
    Right now money is a little tight so I am trying to keep costs down. I am also trying to clean up my garage a bit. I figure I can create quite a bit of shelf space by assembling all of the components I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Thanks!
    I don't have my manuals handy but I was thinking I had seen a low end of about 24.7 and a high of something like 27.2 so I was figuring low to mid 25 range.
    Of course I wouldn't drop a single grain without verify that range first!

Now I have to find a local source of 15! My Bass Pro has ( I think) 2 and 7 on the shelf but don't carry the 15! I also have some .308 I need to put together.
    I've been using reloader 7 for awhile now I load 20 grains behind a 55 grn FMJ bullet,due to powder shortage I just got in 16 pounds of American select for pistols and 16 pounds of H322 for 223 and .308 loads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links