Range Report - First Reload Batch/Dillon RL550B Review

This is a discussion on Range Report - First Reload Batch/Dillon RL550B Review within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well, I got tired of waiting for my order from Berry's to ship since I had a brand new Dillon 550 waiting for me to ...

Thread: Range Report - First Reload Batch/Dillon RL550B Review

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Well,

I got tired of waiting for my order from Berry's to ship since I had a brand new Dillon 550 waiting for me to break in. So I went to Cabela's Friday night and picked up a box of 100 Hornady XTP .40 JHP's. Ran them through the press this morning.

I was having some trouble with primers coming from the primer mag to the primer cup upside down, and it was really bothering me. Finally decided to go back and re-read the manual and come to find out I forgot to change out the primer mag tube to the small size.

Got that fixed and the thing performed flawlessly.

Went to the range to try them out, and they ran great, only had 1 FTF (turns out that round didn't get crimped - must've lost track when I was fiddling with the primer issue).

Very accurate at 7 yards, overall I am impressed with the press and this load:

4.7 gr's Unique
    Winchester WSP
    Hornady XTP 180 gr. JHP

Next up is to borrow a chrono from a friend and shoot some factory carry ammo through it, and try to work up this load as close as possible so that practice and carry ammo are almost identical in shooting characteristics.

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member
    Good job.

Congrats, Mike!

Kind of gives you that feeling of pride and accomplishment, that can only be obtained by doing something yourself, doesn't it?

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Congrats
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Congrats! I run a very similiar load. 124 RNL bullet, 4.6 Unigue, WSP for 9MM! Look for powder in 8 Lb. cannisters if you think you are going to load allot. Much cheaper!

I might caution you to make sure you take your time and check each one for a good powder charge. My first batch of 100 had a light poder load and caused a couple of squib shots. So I now have a good light beaming down on the 3 stage to make sure I can see the powder charge before adding the bullet.

In that light, make sure you know to stop shooting if you hear a small pop and not a bang. Small pop is likely a squib. You need to immediately stop shooting and unload your gun. CHECK THE BARREL! If you have a squib that gets the bullet stuck in the barrel and get off another round before clearing the barrel, you are going to have a bad day!

Also, take and keep something to clear a squib from the barrel. I used an oak dowel rod to drive out the squib. Use the biggest size dowel that fits in the barrel!

I like my 550 and can safely kick out about 300 per hour checking all the stages. My advice is to go slow at first and get your process down. 300 per hour is fast enough for me. Be safe!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    lws,

Thanks for the tips. I have the shellplate light from Uniquetek, along with their micrometer powder bar adjustment. They make it very easy to see the powder charge, and to dial in precisely the amount of powder desired.

I did buy 8# of Unique, my only regret is that I couldn't afford 80#.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    lws,

Thanks for the tips. I have the shellplate light from Uniquetek, along with their micrometer powder bar adjustment. They make it very easy to see the powder charge, and to dial in precisely the amount of powder desired.

I did buy 8# of Unique, my only regret is that I couldn't afford 80#.
    I haven't been able to find any bulk unique or bullseye lately but found that American Select is a close replacement,I just got 16# from powder valley and it took about a month to get my order processed,I also use wolf primers and buy quantity for savings ,they are sold out most of the time but if you watch www.powdervalley.com or Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC they usually will get some in,I just ordered 30,000 from wideners and it took about 5 weeks to process my order
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

One more thing,if you can find a tire shop to buy used wheel weights at,buy a bottom pour lead pot and some lee tumble lube bullet molds or if you buy a lube and size machine then buy the regular bullet molds and crank out your own bullets for plinkin,no waiting on the brown truck and no S&H charges for heavy lead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links