Dillon vs Lee

This is a discussion on Dillon vs Lee within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone have a Lee Classic Turret Press? Any problems with these? They look pretty light weight when compared to a Dillon Press....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon vs Lee

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Dillon vs Lee

Anyone have a Lee Classic Turret Press? Any problems with these? They look pretty light weight when compared to a Dillon Press.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I have never had a Lee. I went with the Dillon 550 based on the recommendation of several friends, and the no-BS lifetime warranty.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I use the Lee loadmaster for 32, 380, 38, 40, 45, 223, and 308. It has done me well, a full setup for one cal from Midway is 237.00 plus shipping. Also come with a limited lifetime warn.

Go to

The Load Master Zone

They have a lot of info, and video's of them in use. One video show a guy running 100 rounds in under 7 minutes.

I like mine, does what it should. Every reloader will give you some problems at one time or the other EVEN Big Blue if the owners will admit it....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Senior Moderator
    Just remember that you get what you pay for.

If all you can afford is the Lee, then thats what you'll have to get. It'll do.

Just know and understand that it is not even in the same league as the Dillion. The Dillon will still be cranking out ammo when the Lee is worn out.The Dillon is not cheap, but its still the highest rated press out there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I gotta agree with Hotguns. I spent $998 for the Dillon in two calibers and a couple of accessories, already had the electronic powder scale, tumbler, etc.

Now that ain't pocket change, but it will pay for itself in about 6,900 rounds at current costs for my current load. That is a couple of years worth of shooting, but the Dillon will continue to work as new for many more years after that.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I have two Dillon 550b loaders set up. One is set up for large primers, the other small. The swap from large to small only takes a few minutes-I guess I'm lazy

I recommend them. The service at Dillon is superb and the machines are top notch.

Shop around. I bought both of mine of the "big auction site" and did well. Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading is another place to look. He has several package deals and is great to deal with.

Dave

I have the Lee Classic Turret Press and I love it. I have no experience with the Dillon, but I hear that they are great.
    I have run a couple thousand rounds thru the Lee and it has been flawless. Bought 2 turrets, one for 9mm, and one for 45 acp....Pro Auto Disk powder dispensers on both turrets. Changing calibers is as simple and twisting one turret off the press and twisting the other one in its place.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

Reborn
    While I have no knowledge of Lee products, and most folks recommend Dillon, you may want to check out this link.
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
    Buy what fits your needs and pocketbook. Enjoy

Difference between a ferrari and a yugo,but Lee will load ammo efficiently,the thing I didn't like about my Pro 1000 press was the powder reset is operated by a chain that if it binds up will break if you don't catch it when it happens you may load some ammo without powder,and the primer feed isn't reliable and with the powder die right over the primer feed if you get any powder that happens to drop ot of the case it can jam the primer feed etc,dillon powder reset is a steel rod and primer feed is a sliding steel bar,primer and powder are 2 different stations
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

...a yugo?
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I gotta agree with Hotguns. I spent $998 for the Dillon in two calibers and a couple of accessories, already had the electronic powder scale, tumbler, etc.

Now that ain't pocket change, but it will pay for itself in about 6,900 rounds at current costs for my current load. That is a couple of years worth of shooting, but the Dillon will continue to work as new for many more years after that.
    When I was single that was only a few weekends worth of ammo.... but I agree you only get what you pay for, and in my 40 years of reloading Dillon is the best I have ever used.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Difference between a ferrari and a yugo,but Lee will load ammo efficiently,the thing I didn't like about my Pro 1000 press was the powder reset is operated by a chain that if it binds up will break
    The lawyers of the world caused that. Used to be a spring loaded return on the bottom of the measure. BUT they had to make sure you lowered it ALL THE WAY DOWN so you would not double charge it. You can get the old lever, and spring from Midway for about 6 bucks.

Yes it is a Yugo, but I have not had a dud, so the end result is the same, and cost a WHOLE lot less. Comes with things you have to pay extra for to get in a Dillion......

That's why they made Ford and Chevy.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Guess I should have said that I own a 550 Dillon actually 2 of them. One of them used to be my brothers. Any way I was asking for a friend and was just wondering about the Lee.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just remember that you get what you pay for.

If all you can afford is the Lee, then thats what you'll have to get. It'll do.

Just know and understand that it is not even in the same league as the Dillion. The Dillon will still be cranking out ammo when the Lee is worn out.The Dillon is not cheap, but its still the highest rated press out there.
    This man knows what he is talking about!

I have a Lee turret press and two dillons and there is no comparison in speed, accuracy and quality. If you are planning on loading a fair amount over the years do yourself a favor and spend the extra coin for a Dillon.

My first post, guys. Reborn was kind enough to ask the questtion here on this board, and I appreciate the answers.
    Specifically, I was looking at the Lee Classic Turret, which has the flatter base than the earlier Lee Turret. It is a simpler, more manual version of the Lee, with manual indexing, not as many wistles and bells, and therefore more affordable.
    I'll be loading primarily .223, 7.62x39 and .40 S&W. Right now, I don't anticipate thousands and thousands o rounds, but that may change.
    Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links