9mm reloading questions

This is a discussion on 9mm reloading questions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My buddy and I decided that as well as reloading 45 we would get into 9mm also since he just recieved a 9mm m&p for ...

Thread: 9mm reloading questions

9mm reloading questions

My buddy and I decided that as well as reloading 45 we would get into 9mm also since he just recieved a 9mm m&p for christmas.
    Currently the only 9mm i have is a Ruger p94dc which works flawlessly as far as any and all factory ammo I've run through it to date.
    My question is when it comes to bullets on reloads does anyone know/have experience with what works best in these guns?

I'm also planning on getting either a XDm 9mm or an SR9 with the SR9 edging out ahead because 1 its a Ruger and 2 its thinner and would be more comfortable for me to carry. Anyone have any reloading experience with either one of these as well?

We have a member of our range that casts bullets and we've been buying 45 acp from him and he sells the following 9mm bullets (see attached picture), out of those anyone know which would feed best? He recommends the conical ones so i guess i'm just looking for other opinions or those w/ first hand experience.

thanks for any and all help
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Even with the long slope of the truncated cone design, I have seen some guns that have problems feeding them. If you want to use them, I'd try and get a 50 round "sample pack" from him to try out before you buy 500 or 1000. If there's any doubt, the RN should work fine and would probably be my choice for a plinking/practice bullet.

You don't say what the cost for the bullets is, but you may also want to check out Berry's Bullets. Unless things have changed, their prices include shipping. I like using the HP bullets so that any practice ammo I have loaded up could serve double duty as defensive ammo in a SHTF scenario.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

yeah i actually called him a bit after i wrote this and thats exactly what he's going to do is give us a 50 rnd sample pack. At first he said 25 and then towards the end of our discussion he upped it to 50 since we've been buying bullets from him for a while now. as far as price with our discount from him we'd pay $28 per 500 rnds for the 1st 3 rounds and 29.50 for the 147 grain bullets. Since we meet up with him @ our range we don't have to pay shipping. Thanks for the input. He also said that i could use those rounds for my .357 magnum so then i can save money that way too :)

thanks for the help

I'd be a little cautious about using bullets sized for a 9mm to load .357. Nominal size for 9mm is .355/jacketed, .356/lead. For a .357 it's .357/jacketed, .358/lead. A .002 difference (.356-.358) on lead bullets could lead to excessive leading in a .357 mag.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I do not have any pistols the OP asks about - but I have to give a ++ to cvhoss's caution. Manufacturers do not recommend against it just because their lawyers tell them too. A delta of .002 sounds innocuous enough until you really think about the pressures involved.

I shoot round nose lead in my 9mm's,also hoss is right about bullet diameter,buy the correct diameter bullets for the calibre your shooting,a Kaboom will cost you more in the long run
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

thanks for the advice. guess i'll get his 38 special (.357 base size) double ended wad cutters. Or he gave me the option of getting any of those bullets with the base sized to .357 i just have to let him know ahead of time since its a special order. From what he said it wouldn't be a big deal to resize so i guess i'll err on the side of caution since that gun has been in the family since 1970ish

Links