.40 reloads ok in a Glock?

This is a discussion on .40 reloads ok in a Glock? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was looking through a load book and it said "Do not use reloads in Glocks" So, truly, can I not reload for my G23? ...

Thread: .40 reloads ok in a Glock?

.40 reloads ok in a Glock?

I was looking through a load book and it said "Do not use reloads in Glocks" So, truly, can I not reload for my G23? Is it really unsafe? If so I'll be buying a 26 instead of a 27.
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

I don't reload..... yet But I can tell you if your reloads are jacketed they should be ok. However I will also warn that .40 is more prone to a kaboom due to already high pressure. Make double sure you load yours properly. Just a personal preference I would go with the 19/26 over the 23/27 due to recoil snap and ammo cost. Good luck what ever you decide
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Load carefully. The reason they mentions glocks is because it has the unsupported chamber...a significant part of the case is unsupported, and can bulge if you reuse the brass over and over, which can lead to chambering problems and weak brass. as long as you have a full length sizer, and carefully inspect your brass before loading, I don't see why it would be a problem. I know a ton of IDPA guys who reload for their glocks.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Yep, Glock doesn't recommend it. Althought I don't know any gun manufacturer that does recommend reloaded ammunition. I think it might just be a CYA thing on their part. If something goes wrong there are only two people to look at the manufacture of the gun and the manufacturer of the ammo, you.

If you pay attention to what your doing I don't see how reloads are going to be any different than shooting practice ammo on a regular basis. Most reloaders tend to load light for range ammo. Check your cases, check your charges, and pay attention to what your doing and what the manuals say.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Show me one pistol that has a fully supported chamber. Good luck. Even my .375 H&H Magnum Encore pistol doesn't have a fully supported chamber and that's running over 60K psi.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I've been reloading for my Glock 22 .40 caliber for many years without any problems what so ever. You have to use jacket bullets only though because the rifling in a Glock will not handle unjacketed lead bullets. I agree with farronwolf that no gun manufacturer recomends using reloads in their products but it is to cover them in any possible lawsuits.
    God & Guns!

Either way, and depending on whom you want to listen to, there will be different stories. Thing is that the 40S&W cartridge seems to be more prone to excessive pressures with very minute changes in charge and bullet seating depth than other pistol cartridges. All of my Glocks retain their factory barrels, and I don't shoot reloads in any of them no matter what caliber.

Stay away from the max loads and use medium burning speed powders like WSF then you will be OK.

I have loaded and shot thousands through my Glock 40 without incident.

tom

i reload for the g27 and g23. i use cast lead bullets 80% of the time. now with that said here is how i do it. i use a after market barrel for the guns. a after market barrel that gives better case support over the glock factory barrel. the glock factory barrel does not give full case support. take the barrel out and drop a round in and take a look. if you got a different cal glock around (9mm/45acp) do the same. you can see what case support is all about. now back to the 40 cal. look at the bottom of the case/barrel. you will see that a part of the case, next to the head space area is not supported. this area is where glock states you can have a problem with reloads. the problems with reloads is when you use once fired (or more) brass to reload. no problems with new brass when reloading. glock states the area on the brass bulges out when fired. yes it does, look at a fired round and you will see it. not much but it is there. the degree of 'pregnancy' is what you look for. resizing takes the bulge out. glock states the brass is weak in the area and if the reloaded round lines up in the same position it could blow out in the non-supported area. lot of factors has to come togather for this to happen,,,but why take the chance.

also, glock factory barrels,,,,no matter which cal/model don't shoot cast lead bullets good. some people do,,,,but i don't. glock factory barrels will lead up faster that normal barrels,,,then you will get an kaboom,,,well maybe. why take the chance. i run hot cast lead (wheel weights) loads in 7mm-08 and 30-223 in the xp100 and i can tell you about leading problems.

so bottom line is if you want to reload the glock 40 cal i would get a after market barrel that has better case support that the factory barrel and is made to shoot cast lead. it is up to you to be safe or to take your chances.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I plan on shooting reloads in my Glock 23 with the proviso that I am only shooting recommended loads and not the maximums shown in reloading books. I am also going to use jacketed bullets only, no lead. If and when I want to shoot lead rounds I'll buy an after market barrel with a fully supported chamber with conventional rifling. Glocks polygonal rifling and unsupported chamber lends it self to easy fouling with lead. Increased lead build up means increased pressures and a possible KaBoom. Same goes for using hot loads. If you are conservative and smart you should have no problems. Reloaders usually get into trouble by using hot loads or powders not recommended for the firearm. By the way I don't think there is a firearm manufacturer on the earth that doesn't say you'll void the warranty if you use reloads. If shooters followed that warranty proviso there would be no reloading.
    When it comes to concealed carry stick to the Glock barrel and factory ammo. A jam at the range is an inconvenience, in a self defense scenario it can cost you your life.

Every manufacturer says not to shoot reloads in their guns in order to cover their butts. That being said I know IPSC shooters who have HUNDREDS of thousands of reloaded rounds through their glocks with no problems at all. As long as you are careful with your loads you are good to go!

Thompson Center states quality handloads are acceptable in their guns.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Check out this article on Glocks and reloads. Very interesting.
    Glock kB! FAQ v1.35!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I had my personal 40 cal. Glock go boom........scrapped out a brand new one with a reload. My 2 cents....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    If and when I want to shoot lead rounds I'll buy an after market barrel with a fully supported chamber with conventional rifling.........When it comes to concealed carry stick to the Glock barrel and factory ammo. A jam at the range is an inconvenience, in a self defense scenario it can cost you your life.
    I agree.
    Aftermarket barrels do sound like a better solution for reloads to me.
    I would add that an occasional jam or failure to feed or eject at the range is an excellent opportunity as a training exercise that may save your life.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Links