Scary reloading in process

This is a discussion on Scary reloading in process within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by Landric I get my supplies at a combination of places. For the first time in my reloading life I placed an order ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scary reloading in process

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I get my supplies at a combination of places. For the first time in my reloading life I placed an order for powder and primers on the internet (and therefore had to pay hazmat fees). It wasn't a huge order, and even though the price of the primers was cheaper than I can get them locally, adding shipping and hazmat probably made it about even. However, the powder I ordered I can't get locally, and adding a case of primers (for what amounted to the same cost as purchasing locally) helped me justify paying the hazmat fee on the powder.

The key to saving money on shipped orders with hazmat fees is buying in bulk. My next online order in that respect will probably be for at least 10,000 primers and 8-16# of powder. The hazmat fee would be the same as for 4# of powder and 5000 primers.

Bullets I get exclusively from Missouri Bullet ( Missouri Bullet Company ). Their service and shipping times are excellent, and prices are a lot lower than other places I have seen cast bullets. I only handload for handguns, so cast bullets meet my needs nicely.

Brass I either collect at the range or check the forums for deals on once-fired. If I need something unusual (like .44 Russian which I recently started handloading for), then I buy new brass from Midway or Graf's.
    yeah the problem with us buying bulk is all 3 of us aren't made of money and suck at saving so most of the time we can't afford bulk even if it does save in the long run. nice prices on those bullets though. cheaper by about $10 than what we pay for ours now so i guess with shipping they'd come out to be a little bit more than what we pay now. i'll have to remember to keep them in mind in case our current supplier raises his prices. although i didn't see a 230 grain .45 bullet on the site

2. Remove Ads

Just a little tip on powder purchases.

A trip to the local trap range can net huge benefits for you. Most powders that trap and skeet shooters are the same stuff we use to reload our pistol ammo. Most decent clay target ranges have it in stock in large containers at a decent price.

I havent bought any in a number of years because I stocked up when it was cheap. I am still shooting powder that I bought back in the 1950's that was military surplus then. Still works just like it did 50 years ago.

Also, you may want to check out a few of the surplus powder web sites. Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett comes to mind. Sometimes Jeff has a good deal on brass,bullets and powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    yeah the problem with us buying bulk is all 3 of us aren't made of money and suck at saving so most of the time we can't afford bulk even if it does save in the long run. nice prices on those bullets though. cheaper by about $10 than what we pay for ours now so i guess with shipping they'd come out to be a little bit more than what we pay now. i'll have to remember to keep them in mind in case our current supplier raises his prices. although i didn't see a 230 grain .45 bullet on the site
    They call the 230 grain RNL "Softball!", its no the 2nd page of the .45ACP bullets.

I can't get lead bullets locally, and one can generally order about 2000 (depending on weight) from Missouri Bullet for one shipping charge (~11.00), which is like adding $2.75 per box for shipping if one buys 2000 at a time.

Their service is excellent and they tend to have pretty fast shipping times, even these days.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Haven't had the cash to buy the equipment, but I already read the ABCs of Reloading and regularly go through the threads to learn.
    I am saving my brass (already have about 1,000 cases), have 'em in a bucket. Does it matter if I leave them there for months before cleaning/tumbling or does the fouling get harder to remove with time?
    I was thinking about the Hornady LNL AP but it seems that I will probably be getting a cheaper single stage or turret due to cash limitations. Suggestions?
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    They call the 230 grain RNL "Softball!", its no the 2nd page of the .45ACP bullets.

I can't get lead bullets locally, and one can generally order about 2000 (depending on weight) from Missouri Bullet for one shipping charge (~11.00), which is like adding $2.75 per box for shipping if one buys 2000 at a time.

Their service is excellent and they tend to have pretty fast shipping times, even these days.

thanks i think i just spaced out and didn't realize they had more than 1 page. thanks for the shipping cost as well. 11 bucks flat rate is a good charge

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    I am saving my brass (already have about 1,000 cases), have 'em in a bucket. Does it matter if I leave them there for months before cleaning/tumbling or does the fouling get harder to remove with time?
    Keep them in a dry cool place and you shouldn't have any problems.

You may want to start with a Lee single stage press & dies and then upgrade as the cash flow improves. Don't forget that there will be other stuff to buy like a scale, calipers, trays, tumblers, media, etc.

Keep asking question any time a doubt surfaces
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The Lee 4 hole turret press kit is $99.99 at MidwayUSA every thing you need but the dies, calipers and tumbler.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have also been buying my powder in larger amounts....I am just happy that I can share some of my powders between 28ga. shotgun and .38 special loads......saves a lot!!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    What powder?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Most shotgun powders are also used for handguns. Read the description in the manuals, like Hodgdon which covers them, IMR, and Winchester powders.

Alliant Unique can be used in all shotguns and all handguns as well as most rifles (light loads, lead loads). It can be dirty in some loads, but cleans up well enough.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I use Unique in 20 ga skeet loads and my handgun loads. I buy jacketed bullets from Berry's - free shipping. Primer and powder I buy locally.

Definitely ask questions, there are no dumb ones when it comes to reloading.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I try to point out to new reloaders the added uses you can get out of a particular firearm by reloading. My first squirrel rifle was my 1898 30-40 krag. I cast 110 gr bullets an used a bit of unique power and it was an excellent squirrel an rabbit gun.

In revolvers you can load squib loads that can be fired inside a basement. It opens up many new uses for a person willing to learn.

BTW I still have my first reloading press. A Lyman 310 tong tool.

Michael
    I used to be able to buy plastic 38 caliber slugs and load them into the case and use only the primer to fire the plastic slug. This was a safe load for basement shooting in the winter time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links