Scary reloading in process

This is a discussion on Scary reloading in process within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; We all know that the market is a bit nuts for both firearms and ammo. I'm gearing up my loading bench and inventory to crank ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary reloading in process

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Scary reloading in process

We all know that the market is a bit nuts for both firearms and ammo. I'm gearing up my loading bench and inventory to crank calibers that I've not bothered with in the past. But his has lead me to realize that like ammo, reloading components are all but impossible to get. More importantly, I'm finding a number of new folks entering the reloading game. That's great. But I've also realized that there are some folks charging into the reloading process w/no real understanding of the discipline involved and apparantly no mentor to take them through the early days. The results could be very dangerous. Help those that you can and don't take candy or reloads from strangers.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    We all know that the market is a bit nuts for both firearms and ammo. I'm gearing up my loading bench and inventory to crank calibers that I've not bothered with in the past. But his has lead me to realize that like ammo, reloading components are all but impossible to get. More importantly, I'm finding a number of new folks entering the reloading game. That's great. But I've also realized that there are some folks charging into the reloading process w/no real understanding of the discipline involved and apparantly no mentor to take them through the early days. The results could be very dangerous. Help those that you can and don't take candy or reloads from strangers.
    Agreed. On all accounts.
    It is increasingly difficult to find ammo and components.
    I hope that production catches up before (new) litigation does.
    Fortunately, my father, who admittedly was more 'anal' than I, taught me. Unfortunately, he is no longer around to impart wisdom.
    That is becoming more and more common as we lose some of the 'old hands' and their experience.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    We all know that the market is a bit nuts for both firearms and ammo. I'm gearing up my loading bench and inventory to crank calibers that I've not bothered with in the past. But his has lead me to realize that like ammo, reloading components are all but impossible to get. More importantly, I'm finding a number of new folks entering the reloading game. That's great. But I've also realized that there are some folks charging into the reloading process w/no real understanding of the discipline involved and apparently no mentor to take them through the early days. The results could be very dangerous. Help those that you can and don't take candy or reloads from strangers.
    I agree. This is one very good reason for the experienced to share their knowledge on forums like this one. As a new reloader myself, I read about 200 pages of the new Speer manual and spent about 2 months on forums before I loaded the first round. Still, there were many questions that came up and "forum friends" are always ready to help out. THANK YOU.
    One word of caution to newbies about forum help. While there are a great many folks that absolutely know what they are talking about, there are many who THINK they know or are anxious to help others but really do lack the knowledge/experience.
    Read a lot and maybe post on a couple of forums for the answers you seek. In time, you will find out who you can trust to provide qualified answers.
    Go Slow and Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    Still, there were many questions that came up and "forum friends" are always ready to help out. THANK YOU.

another big THANX to the experienced members of this forum from a reloading noobie.....i am still waiting on my press from midway, and it has been nice not getting it right away because it gives me time to read, and ask questions......i unfortunatly do not have anyone i can go to that can help, so this forum has been great for me. thanx again to all

I been reloading for about 4 years ever since I saw the early signs of ammo prices increasing,I just bought 32# of powder and 30,000 primers,I had to change the powder I normally use due to the fact they were out and been out of 8# jugs for awhile.The primers I had to watch several sites until they had them in stock and then I placed my order,It took over 6 weeks for my order to ship after placing it.I cast my own pistol bullets or that would be another headache.In the reloading section of the forum all you gotta do is ask the ? and we will share our knowledge and websites we use.I hope I have enough powder and primers around 50# powder and about 55,000 primers to last me til I'm too feeble to hold a gun without scaring everybody around me too death.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've thought about it since starting this thread and I guess I could have taken a more positive approach. I absolutely don't want to discourage new loaders....other than having more competion as a brass rat at the range. And it would be unfair for me to say that I'm 30 yrs experienced and the sage of reloading. It's a learning process that cannot be rushed. Not so long ago I got extremely frustrated w/my auto loader and ordered some new parts, got them in and ignored the press for 2 months or more. It happens. Better to buy ammo (if possible) until your mood is right. your homework is done, you've got the time, etc. It's a great process. And there really are no stupid questions. But unanswered questions have no place in a home brewed round. Take your time. Load your first 10 of something new, take your safety glasses and go to the range and fire. Make sure you've struck the right formula for you and your weapon. RTFM over and over.

OK.....off the soap box. Have fun.
    Savage Heartland

I try to point out to new reloaders the added uses you can get out of a particular firearm by reloading. My first squirrel rifle was my 1898 30-40 krag. I cast 110 gr bullets an used a bit of unique power and it was an excellent squirrel an rabbit gun.

In revolvers you can load squib loads that can be fired inside a basement. It opens up many new uses for a person willing to learn.

BTW I still have my first reloading press. A Lyman 310 tong tool.

Michael

There does seem to be a big increase in handloading going on. I hope people are doing it safely.

I really wasn't paying attention to the demand, and I ran out of my old stock of components recently (I should have been stocking as I used, lesson learned), so I've been scrambling to get stuff and not get gouged. I recently had an order from Powder Valley ship, and I think I'm going to place another soon and get in line for the stuff I need that is on backorder (my current order should hold me until then).

I have exactly one friend who's handloads I trust. Were I to be given any of questionable value, I'll pull the bullets and salvage the useful components.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

for those of you who reload do you buy your stuff online or at gunshows? My friends and I have been reloading for little over a year maybe a year and a half now. Back when we first started we bought an 8lb jug of bullseye, don't remember the cost but we all remember the $20 extra for hazmat shipping. We'll be needing power in the next 4 or 5 months and probably primers unless we find some at the gun show in a couple weeks. so i'm just curious as to everyone's sources for resources :-D

Aside from ordering bullets & dies online, I try scrounging locally. With the current costs of power & primers it really stings to pay that hazmat. Of course, you're probably not really avoiding it when your local store transfers the cost to you at his retail price. Call out of town buddies and ask them to check for your shopping list when they go to their own local gun stores.
    Savage Heartland

Reloading is no more dangerous than shooting a firearm if you take the time to learn the proper procedures. Gun safety and reloading safety are common sense and learning before doing. Start with the purchase of a good reloading manual, then buy quality supplies. The initial investment may sting, but will pay off in the long run. Stick to new brass or once fired brass to start with. Check the dimensions on your brass to ensure they meet the miniums and maximums for that caliber. Be conservative with your powder choices. Over charging is the most common cause for damaged guns and people. The best way to control your charges is to use the recommended smokeless powders and to weight every charge. If you follow the common sense rules of reloading you will not have a problem. It's carelessness, trying shortcuts and stupidity that causes accidents. Oh by the way reloading is fun.
    Last edited by Uechi; March 5th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    for those of you who reload do you buy your stuff online or at gunshows? My friends and I have been reloading for little over a year maybe a year and a half now. Back when we first started we bought an 8lb jug of bullseye, don't remember the cost but we all remember the $20 extra for hazmat shipping. We'll be needing power in the next 4 or 5 months and probably primers unless we find some at the gun show in a couple weeks. so i'm just curious as to everyone's sources for resources :-D
    I get my supplies at a combination of places. For the first time in my reloading life I placed an order for powder and primers on the internet (and therefore had to pay hazmat fees). It wasn't a huge order, and even though the price of the primers was cheaper than I can get them locally, adding shipping and hazmat probably made it about even. However, the powder I ordered I can't get locally, and adding a case of primers (for what amounted to the same cost as purchasing locally) helped me justify paying the hazmat fee on the powder.

The key to saving money on shipped orders with hazmat fees is buying in bulk. My next online order in that respect will probably be for at least 10,000 primers and 8-16# of powder. The hazmat fee would be the same as for 4# of powder and 5000 primers.

Bullets I get exclusively from Missouri Bullet ( Missouri Bullet Company ). Their service and shipping times are excellent, and prices are a lot lower than other places I have seen cast bullets. I only handload for handguns, so cast bullets meet my needs nicely.

Brass I either collect at the range or check the forums for deals on once-fired. If I need something unusual (like .44 Russian which I recently started handloading for), then I buy new brass from Midway or Graf's.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Senior Moderator
    I get my bulk supplys at the gunshows. At least I dont have to pay hazmat or shipping, and bullets are heavy!

I do alot of casting too. Thats where the real savings lie. I do all of the pistol and some for rifle. I can easily do 1000 bullets in an afternoon. I'll usaully wait until its raining or lousy weather to do it though.-
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hey Hotguns....how (where) do you collect the lead? My dad used to do but got tired of scrounging lead. I wouldn't mind the process but don't know where to begin w/a lead source.
    Savage Heartland

Senior Moderator
    I get alot from tire shops and from the local nuclear plant which has a tendency to throw lots of it away. Of course, being there at the right time is alot of it...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links