Newbie Frustrated And Needs Help

This is a discussion on Newbie Frustrated And Needs Help within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I thought I would throw this out for some help. I am reloading for 9MM using Berry's 115 grain RN plated bullets. It was recommended ...

I thought I would throw this out for some help. I am reloading for 9MM using Berry's 115 grain RN plated bullets. It was recommended that I use Hodgdon Clays for powder because I also plan to load 40 and 45 later on.

I can't seem to find any load data for this combo. I am using "reloading guide for pistols" and the Hodgdon website, and I can't find anything. Being a newbie I am not sure what to do and want to be safe.

I contact the folks at berry's to ask a unrelated question and got on the subject of case length. I was told to seat the bullet at 1.14, however if I load according to the 115 grain RN lead with 3.0 grains which is what is called for from Hodgdon it says to set the case length to 1.10

I am lost now.

Quote Originally Posted by waketurb007 View Post
    I thought I would throw this out for some help. I am reloading for 9MM using Berry's 115 grain RN plated bullets. It was recommended that I use Hodgdon Clays for powder because I also plan to load 40 and 45 later on.

I can't seem to find any load data for this combo. I am using "reloading guide for pistols" and the Hodgdon website, and I can't find anything. Being a newbie I am not sure what to do and want to be safe.

I contact the folks at berry's to ask a unrelated question and got on the subject of case length. I was told to seat the bullet at 1.14, however if I load according to the 115 grain RN lead with 3.0 grains which is what is called for from Hodgdon it says to set the case length to 1.10

I am lost now.
    Those would be minimum OAL,any less than that can start increasing pressure,during the reloading stage your OAL may vary by a couple thousands from bullet to bullet,and 4/100ths isn't going to make a big difference unless you are shooting competition rifle.If in doubt go with the 1.14 OAL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's two loads for 115 gr bullets from Hodgen:
    1) 115 GR. SPR GDHP Hodgdon Clays .355" 1.125" 3.7 1066 30,900 CUP 3.9 1095 32,600 CUP
    2) 115 GR. LRN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.100" 3.0 954 25,300 CUP 3.4 1039 31,000 CUP

I think Berry's recommends not shooting their bullets faster than 1000 fps (or 1200 fps). Call them back to confirm and use the appropriate load for LRN (lead round nose) or GDHP (Gold Dot Hollow Point, which is jacketed) - I'd err on the side of going with the LRN load.

Any time you have questions, the bullet manufacturer's are more than happy to answer and will not make you feel foolish even if you think it may be a dumb question (no such thing). It's kinda a good policy to keep your customers in one piece :).

Links