Ok,so I think I want to take up reloading........

This is a discussion on Ok,so I think I want to take up reloading........ within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I know I need manuals..... I know I need to concentrate, wear safety glasses, weigh powder charges, etc.......... I was taught how to load shotgun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok,so I think I want to take up reloading........

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

I know I need manuals.....

I know I need to concentrate, wear safety glasses, weigh powder charges, etc..........

I was taught how to load shotgun shells as a teenager but that was 15 years ago so I have lost most of what I learned.

I am interested in starting with .38 special which will be shot out of a 4inch .357mag M65. I want to start loading low recoil target loads. I am set on Lee products.

I eventually would like to load .223, .30-06 for the Garand only, and .40 once I get experience loading the .38.

I don't want a multi-stage device because I am a noob. I was thinking about a single stage or a turret model to start. I really don't want to fool with the powder dispensers, I would rather dip and load. I know that this is not going to be the fastest most efficient way but I am looking more for quality than quantity. If I went with a single stage would I need to perform one function first with all of the brass, switch dies and then proceed to the next function and so on until I seat the bullet. Would the order go De-prime, resize, prime, charge, then finally seat and crimp? I understand that rifle cartridges have to be trimmed and ideally the primer pocket should be cleaned regardless of whether rifle or pistol.

I guess what I asking is this the way to go about it? How did you start out? I entertained getting one of the classic Lee handloaders for $25 and start that way but I do want to be a little more efficient. Please point me in the right direction.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    ......(1)If I went with a single stage would I need to perform one function first with all of the brass, switch dies and then proceed to the next function and so on until I seat the bullet. (2)Would the order go De-prime, resize, prime, charge, then finally seat and crimp? I understand that rifle cartridges have to be trimmed and ideally the primer pocket should be cleaned.

I guess what I asking is this the way to go about it? How did you start out? (3)I entertained getting one of the classic Lee handloaders for $25 and start that way but I do want to be a little more efficient. Please point me in the right direction.
    (1)Yes

(2)Basically. The de-prime/resize operation is done at the same time with one die. As you run it into the sizing die, it is de-primed. You would then prime the brass. I would suggest getting a hand priming tool (Lee, RCBS) as it will be much simpler and faster. You would then charge (and here's where I deviate from what you want and say invest in a scale and powder measure) and then seat/crimp. Crimp would be performed as a separate step if you want to use a Lee factory crimp die.

(3)Stay away from the hand tool. They are O.K. to take to the range and do a few handloads with for testing but for any volume of reloading, not a good choice.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    (3)Stay away from the hand tool. They are O.K. to take to the range and do a few handloads with for testing but for any volume of reloading, not a good choice.
    +1. It will actually slow you down compared to a powder thrower.

RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure

I have this little gadget. Once you have it set for the right charge, you'll be throwing powder as fast as you can safely do it.

The way I do it is as follows: I select a batch of clean brass (usually 100) and do the resizing & decapping, then priming, bell the mouth of the cases. If I need a break, I take it or leave the whole thing for another day. When ready, I get the powder thrower, weigh the charge, pull out a reloading tray, and start throwing powder into the cases and the placing the case into the reloading tray. It may take me 7-10 minutes to do 100 cases that way.

Immediately after, bullets go on top of the loaded case and I do the rest of the process (seating & crimping). I do not leave the loaded cases unattended unless mother nature calls loudly and then I will cover the trays & lock the room while I am gone.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    So every one seems to be opposed to to dipping the powder?

I thought I read that sticks of powder get caught in a dispenser causing problems?

I worry more about getting a double charge that way with the powder dispensers. I know that my uncertainty about them are probably unfounded but I think at least intially I would feel better visually and manually loading the charge that way.

Miggy is that made by Rock Chucker? Does it fit on a press and if so a Lee one?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I would go with the turret press, (I went with Lyman, but nothing wrong with your choice of Lee) and agree that a powder measure is the way to go. It leaves you lots more options for powder. You can add .1 of a grain if you want or take a .1 away to or adjust your loads for practice versus if you want to make a hunting or defensive load, (no we don't need to hash that out). But the point I am trying to make is that if your simply going to use a dipper, your very limited on what you can load for any given cartridge.

I leave my powder measure mounted to the back of my bench. Once I get it dialed in, I will load 500 to 1000 rounds with that setting. Saves lots of time. Like Miggy, I will charge 100 rds at a time, then seat those 100. Start over charge 100 rds, and then seat 100.

One note, after I charge 50, I will visually inspect that tray of 50 making sure the charges all look the same. Then set it asside, charge the other 50, inspect them and then seat all 100.

IMO, the turret is the way to go if your going to do 10,000 or less rounds a year.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

One note, after I charge 50, I will visually inspect that tray of 50 making sure the charges all look the same. Then set it asside, charge the other 50, inspect them and then seat all 100.
    +1 I to worry about a double charge so I visually inspect, you will be able to see a double charge.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

One of the things I like about Lee is their powder through the expanding die for handgun cartridges. Their auto disk powder dispenser is simple to use and they even have a micro adjustable set up you can upgrade to when you feel inclined.
    Here is how I would do it on a single stage.
    First I would get two trays, one to the left of the press, one to the right.
    With the decapping/sizing die in the press run them through ( I would use the primer attachment and prime on the downstroke) starting with the brass to the left, run through the press and place in the tray on the right. When the left is empty and the right is full, switch the trays and the die.
    If using the charge through expander, never leave a case in the press! They all are either in the "empty" tray or the "charged" tray. When the "charged" tray is full, switch the trays and the die again. Then run them through again seating and crimping the bullets.
    It is not as fast as running them through on a progressive, but almost as fast as a turret. And a heck of a lot faster than dipping and trickling powder onto the scale like I am doing for my match loads.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I don't want a multi-stage device because I am a noob. I was thinking about a single stage or a turret model to start.
    Within 6 months you will be looking at a progessive machine.

If you can I would start off with a Dillon 550. You can use this as a single stage press until you get used to reloading.

This is a no-brainer IMHO, even for a noob - get a progressive machine. I used one to load thousands of .45ACP rounds when I used to shoot a lot of IPSC. I can't recall ever having a misfire or a load with no powder (or double powder). I am still using some of those leftover loads and they are working just fine 20 years later.

Also, get a decent case tumbler. If you're gonna do your own reloads, then you want them to look good and a nice tumbler will make them shine like new.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

A BMW is much nicer to drive and faster than my ford focus, but my focus gets me to and from for a fraction of the cost. I'm glad I went with Focus, and likewise, I'm glad I went with the lee. I'f I were pounding out quantity then the dillon would look more inviting...they are much nicer to operate, but since money isn't free...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Right now I use a single stage for rifle, but my pistol loads are done on a Lee Pro 1000 progressive. With the assorted accessories (case feeder, bullet feeder) you can set everything up and then just start pulling the lever. After the third pull every time you pull the handle it drops a loaded round.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    +1 on the Dillon 550!

I agree that after reloading for a while, if loading in volume, you will get frustrated and want a progressive. I started with a Dillon Square Deal as a newbie years ago and could not be happier. In fact I have two of them. One set up for large primer, and one for small. I also have a single stage Lee for rifle and the difference in speed and efficiency is unbelievable.

Have a look at Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders and go to the section "which machine is right for you".
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member
    While I'm a Hornady progressive guy, I think a look at the Dillon is good advise. If find mine to be....querky. It's mine so I know it but loading in volume, you really need to keep an eye and a wrench on it. Keep in mind that you can use a progressive much like a single stage by simply taking the brass off, doing your thing, and putting it back on the press. Not really too much problem.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

+1 on the Lee Cast Turret press. You can load single stage at first but after awhile (esp. handgun ammo) you'll want a faster press. I also found I made better ammo at the turret over the ss press. No trays to jostle or spill, no resetting the dies every time, etc. Every cartridge was completed, so no wondering where you left off if you were disturbed by wife, children, phone, bladder etc. Also caliber changes are relatively cheap, price of dies and extra turret (only if you don't want to reset up dies each time): ~$35 vs $100 min each for the progressives.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

another vote for the Dillion RL550. actually I have two of them.

One is set up for 40 cal and the other is set up for 44 mag.

I actually got the second one on "trade". A customer had the thing laying around in his basement and he owed me money from working on his furnace, so I traded it out
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links