Important - FTX bullet load data from Hornady

Important - FTX bullet load data from Hornady

This is a discussion on Important - FTX bullet load data from Hornady within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; After corrspondence with both Alliant Powder and Hornady, here is the latest info as far as I know. Hornady has come out with reload data ...

Thread: Important - FTX bullet load data from Hornady

Exclamation Important - FTX bullet load data from Hornady

After corrspondence with both Alliant Powder and Hornady, here is the latest info as far as I know.

Hornady has come out with reload data for their FTX bullets, used in the Leverevolution line. The info is available here:

Hornady

Evidently, you should not use load data for standard bullets when formulating these loads. The old adage of "starting with loads for the next lightest bullet weight" is out the window with these bullets. It is very important to use this data to stay within max pressure. Here is and example of why:

The Hornady bullet is 160 gr weight.

Alliant data for RL-15 powder and 150 gr jacketed bullet gives a max load of 34 gr., so a 10% reduced starting load would be 30.6 gr.

My Lee manual lists 32.8 gr. as starting load and 36 gr. as never exceed.

If one were to err on the conservative side and use the Lee 150 gr. bullet starting load of 32.8 gr., you would be a full 3 grains of powder over the max charge published by Hornady, which is 29.8.

Even using the more conservative Alliant starting load of 30.6, you will be exceeding the max load.

I believe the reason for this is that the Hornady bullet's crimp groove is much farther to the front and the rear portion of the bullet is longer, to keep weight up and OAL down. So it seats much deeper in the case. Thus increasing the bearing surface, compressing the powder, and thereby increasing pressure.

The good news is that Hornady tested the loads in a 20" barrel (at least for the 30-30), giving us some velocity numbers we can use in standard length barrels.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the very important info!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I just added the link to the reloading resources sticky, so it will be there if anyone needs it in the future.

Reloading Hornady FTX 30-30

I have reloaded some of these FTX bullets, love them! You are correct, there are many versions of the reloading data out there. I have tested a few through my chrono, and will continue testing in the near future. Here are the results of my last testing:

Hornady FTX 160gn Bullets fired in a Model 94 Winchester, 20" Barrel, Winchester primers, H335 Powder:

Powder Weight Volocity
    28.2 - 1987
    28.4 - 1965
    28.6 - 1996
    28.8 - 2008
    29.0 - 2028
    29.2 - 2001
    29.4 - 2048
    29.6 - 2045
    29.8 - 2056
    30.0 - 2098

Since I am now out of H335, my next tests will be with Reloader 15, and I will post those results for all to see. Unfortunately we can only test velocity and have no idea what pressures these loads create - that will be up to the pros to publish.

Hope this helps.

DoinStuff

Since this is back up, I would first like to thank you for the data, and second, mention that the loads I have shot with these bullets have grouped well.

Also, I want to mention that there are special instructions available now as to loading these in .308 Win. cases. You are supposed to trim back the case mouth so that it lines up with the crimp grove or something IIRC. The info is available on the Hornady site.

Thanks again for the info, and I look forward to your resutls with the RL-15. That's what I'm using, but I don't have a chrony, so it will be intersting to see how your loads compare with Hornady's numbers. I have a box or two loaded with max charge right now, but don't plan on shooting them anytime soon. Probably not until close to hunting season if at all.

I am busy playing with my .308 and my new 30-06 at present, and then I have several hundred .223 that I need to get loaded (if my bullets ever come in on backorder). This reloading and testing is becoming addictive I think.

Has anyone seen the FTX bullets in handgun calibers? These are what they are using in their "Critical Defense" ammo.

Consistency

For what it's worth, I shot several Winchester 30-30 bullets (reloaded 150 grain soft point) through my chrono and the numbers were all over the place. The FTX bullets are VERY consistent in my informal test. Now I need to make some empty cartridges to test the R-15...

Links