Questions for a Newbie

This is a discussion on Questions for a Newbie within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So if I get that Lee Turret Kit is there any reason for me to get the seperate Perfect Powder Measurer? It says it comes ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for a Newbie

So if I get that Lee Turret Kit is there any reason for me to get the seperate Perfect Powder Measurer? It says it comes with the Lee Auto Disk Powder measurer, but is that one crap or is it good?

2. Remove Ads

The auto disk powder measurer is good but some like to dip, either way you need to check the charge with a scale now and then.

Get the auto disk! It mounts on the powder through expander die and you don't have to throw powder off the press. I suggest getting the Pro auto disk because it is easier to adjust, and more important it has a powder shut off. I mount mine and throw a 5 charges and dump them back; throw 5 charges and weigh each one for consistency; If not my desired weight (this is where the powder shut off is indispensable) change disks and start over; if desired weight, I start loading and check every so often for weight. Its very simple and much faster then an off press powder thrower. BTW if you want to use the auto disk w/ rifles or other than Lee dies, buy the $10 universal powder die.

I know a lot of loaders are in love w/ their progressives, but look I looked at the cost/ benefit ratio, esp. in caliber changes. If you are initially willing spend ~$500+ to start plus ~$100 a caliber change, go with a Blue or Red progressive. ~400-500 rounds an hour. A Classic Cast Turret, dies and tools is in the ~$200 and ~$35 for new turret and die set per extra caliber. ~250-350 rounds an hour.
    You decide, I went turret.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

How do the primers get in the brass with this kit? Do I have to put them in manually, or is there that Lee Safety Prime thing??

Have you considered one of these?

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

They are pretty pricey, but you have to be brain dead not to be able to use one. hell If I can use one, anyone can.

There is a LIFE TIME NO BS warranty and you can load virtually every common pistol and rifle load on the market.

I highly recommend this unit, it's very easy to use and customer service is top-of-the-line. and you can crank out 200 to 300 rounds an hour
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I know a lot of loaders are in love w/ their progressives, but look I looked at the cost/ benefit ratio, esp. in caliber changes. If you are initially willing spend ~$500+ to start plus ~$100 a caliber change, go with a Blue or Red progressive. ~400-500 rounds an hour. A Classic Cast Turret, dies and tools is in the ~$200 and ~$35 for new turret and die set per extra caliber. ~250-350 rounds an hour.
    You decide, I went turret.[/QUOTE]

Wine6978
    Please do research and don't believe everything you read or hear. I own red and initial cost was $340 and caliber change without dies is either $37 or $40 (Nov.08). Also I received a 1000 bullet rebate. Reloading rate at a relaxed pace (which I recommend) is 2-300 an hour for me (I'm a noobe).
    Buy what fits you and by all means check out the facts first. Its a great hobby, enjoy!

Showmebob, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. It is a great learning experience, and very satisfied the first time you go to the range and shoot your freshly loaded ammo.

The only thing I will caution you on is not to make a whole bunch of ammo until you test some different loads to see how they do.

I generally make a box of 50 with the starting load, then go up from there and find one that works good consistantly and shoots straight. For range ammo, I very rarely load at the max listed in the book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Showmebob, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. It is a great learning experience, and very satisfied the first time you go to the range and shoot your freshly loaded ammo.

The only thing I will caution you on is not to make a whole bunch of ammo until you test some different loads to see how they do.

I generally make a box of 50 with the starting load, then go up from there and find one that works good consistantly and shoots straight. For range ammo, I very rarely load at the max listed in the book.
    Good advice. When I start loading something new, I start at the minimum and load five of each moving in 1/2 grain increments to one grain below the listed max. I like the 1 grain buffer in case something else goes amiss. To me, a few extra FPS isn't worth pushing the envelope, hammering my guns, and wearing out my brass faster.

After testing, then I start loading 50 at a time at the load that works best. Usually one grain below max if I can get good accuracy out of it.

YMMV
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links