Manufacture my own ammo?

This is a discussion on Manufacture my own ammo? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I did a search but couldn't find a thread that matched what I was looking for. Anyway. I was curious. I know you can reload ...

Thread: Manufacture my own ammo?

Question Manufacture my own ammo?

I did a search but couldn't find a thread that matched what I was looking for.

Anyway. I was curious. I know you can reload your brass and I have watched my friend reload many rounds. But my question is: Is there a company that sells home manufacturing equipment? Like to make the brass, primers, bullets and everything needed to make your own jacketed ammo with raw materials. I've found molds for bullets but they were just for lead... which makes for messy shooting. I'm interesting in finding equipment to manufacture my own 5.56 and .308 ammo.

Any direction would be appreciated. Even if it is telling me I'm crazy or that this isn't possible.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

2. Remove Ads

The cost of tooling up for just the extruding process of brass for a .308 would probably be more than most shooters would spend on a lifetime's worth of ammo. Probably 8 or more different extrusion dies to form the case from a brass plug or cup. Annealing steps throughout the entire process to keep the brass at the correct hardness.

Bullet manufacture is a little less expensive and can be done at home, but it still needs some expensive equipment.

Making primers ?? This is a really specialized type of process that involves explosive materials that must be combined with tiny delicate metal parts to tolerances that are difficult to axcheive as well as very dangerous.

Save a lot of time and money and buy a quarter of a million dollars worth of ammo, you will come out way ahead.

bosco

As far as making your own .223 ammo, there are forming and swaging dies available that you can use to turn .22 rimfire cases into bullet jackets. Beyond that I think you are looking at a substantial investment in equipment and a facility to set it up in.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well thank you bosco and mcp. That is all I needed to know. Now that that idea is shot down I can just focus on buying ammunition the old fashioned way. And just focus on reloading my own brass. =) Thanks again!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

VIP Member
    Omega, found you a catalog:

http://www.swage.com/ftp/pricelist.pdf
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links