A little idea I just had

This is a discussion on A little idea I just had within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I was browsing a few sites looking to see if anyone had primers in stock. and I noticed that there does not seem to ...

Thread: A little idea I just had

A little idea I just had

So I was browsing a few sites looking to see if anyone had primers in stock. and I noticed that there does not seem to be any shortage of #209 shotgun primers. How tough would it be to chuck up some .45 brass and cut new primer pockets? Of course loads would have to be worked up from almost nothing. I don't reload shot shells so I have not ever really seen a #209 up close. Any thoughts?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you'd ever get the hole deep enough - you'd punch thru the brass first.

Nope, don't think I would try it, besides it probably not working in the first place, you would end up with a bunch of .45 brass that would no longer take a large pistol primer.

If you have a Gander mountain near you, you might check with them. I just bought 7,000 primers a week ago from there. A guy that was by the office today said that one of the Bass Pro's in AR had a bunch of reloading stuff recently.

Keep looking and use the correct primer for the case. If you have to substitute, using a magnum instead of a regular or vise versa would be one way as long as you keep in mind the powder charge your using.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I just found some tables with pressures on them. Not good news. Shot loads with the #209 run about 10,000psi. .45 ACP runs about 21,000. Would either be waaaaay downloaded or might blow the primer out.

Oh well......

I still have some of the correct ones, was just looking at the price of the #209 compared to the large pistol.....
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links