Savings with reloading

Savings with reloading

This is a discussion on Savings with reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I am thinking about getting into reloading. Per 50 rounds how much do you save when you reload plinking loads? I will be shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savings with reloading

Savings with reloading

So I am thinking about getting into reloading. Per 50 rounds how much do you save when you reload plinking loads? I will be shooting 45acp, 9mm, 38 sp. and 357mag

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    So I am thinking about getting into reloading. Per 50 rounds how much do you save when you reload plinking loads? I will be shooting 45acp, 9mm, 38 sp. and 357mag

Thanks
    Although I am still a newbie to reloading there is no doubt that I am saving money. My numbers do not include the cost of equipment. I am reloading for the 9mm.

Brass = 0 (I have tons of it that I saved over a long period of time)
    Bullets = $0.08 per bullet (using Berry's Plated)
    Primers = $0.03 per bullet
    Powder = $0.01 per bullet

So that equals $0.12 per bullet or $12.00 per hundred.

VIP Member
    Nifty little calculator for you

Handloading Cost Calculator
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wake has it mostly right ... you can reload a box of 50 for $5-$7 (assuming you don't count anything for the time you invest). I find the bullets are the most expensive component, round for round. Although I try to keep the cost down to $.06-$.08 per bullet, in the last year those costs have gone up to $.10 or more (even for lead). Good bullets can run $.15 to $.20 each, or more. Brass is cheap (figure $50 for 500), so at $.10 each divided by an average of 10+ reloads each, that's a penny or less per round. Powder has also gone up. There are 7000 grains per pound, with powder running $20-$24 per pound around here. If you are shooting 9mm with 3-4 grains per load, powder is cheap. However, if you are shooting rifle or .44 mag, those costs can be higher than Wake indicates.

Bottom line, if you don't count you time, reloading can save you money. But I warn you...don't go into it thinking you will save money. Not only is there the initial investment for equipment and supplies (not to mention building a reloading bench and storage for the supplies), but your time has a cost as well. What you will find also is that whatever savings you have from reloading will be sucked up by the extra shooting you do. In the long run, reloading does not save you any money ... it just allows you to shoot more with the same funds.

In my experience reloading saves zero. The ammo is less expensive per round, but, because it's cheaper, you shoot more. However, it's fun and you get more practice for the same dollars. Saving money is what you tell your wife to justify buying the equipment and the components.

+1 Keboostman on telling wife.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    For me, I am currently reloading .45 ACP at a cost of about $16/100rds. The best price I can find on retail bulk practice ammo right now is about $350/1k, or $35/100rds, so I am reloading for just under half the price for buying, using range brass.

At that price, I'll pay for my reloading equipment in about a year (7k rounds, give or take). It'd be sooner but I splurged on accessories for the RL-550B.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    OK, I find the whole concept of "You don't save 'cause you shoot more" utterly silly. If you are getting more bangs for the same buck, you are indeed saving. If you shoot more or less is unrelated to the issue.

But even if we add it to the "Shooting More" statement to the equation, you are getting an increased benefit for less money as you spend more time practicing, relaxing or perfecting your shooting skills.

Let's add another benefit: How about not depending of the local gun shop for your ammo? How many live in states or counties where in the event of a SHTF scenario, the first thing that gets regulated or stopped is the selling of guns and ammo? The most likelihood is that as a reloader, you may have a sizable stash ready or will be able to create one at a moment's notice.

Reloading saves you money, helps your skills and provides a bigger degree of independence.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    OK, I find the whole concept of "You don't save 'cause you shoot more" utterly silly. If you are getting more bangs for the same buck, you are indeed saving. If you shoot more or less is unrelated to the issue.

But even if we add it to the "Shooting More" statement to the equation, you are getting an increased benefit for less money as you spend more time practicing, relaxing or perfecting your shooting skills.

Let's add another benefit: How about not depending of the local gun shop for your ammo? How many live in states or counties where in the event of a SHTF scenario, the first thing that gets regulated or stopped is the selling of guns and ammo? The most likelihood is that as a reloader, you may have a sizable stash ready or will be able to create one at a moment's notice.

Reloading saves you money, helps your skills and provides a bigger degree of independence.
    +1 And thanks for the calculator in your previous post. Handy indeed
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    In my experience reloading saves zero. The ammo is less expensive per round, but, because it's cheaper, you shoot more. However, it's fun and you get more practice for the same dollars. Saving money is what you tell your wife to justify buying the equipment and the components.

Whaaa?????? THAT doesn't work at all?? I shoot competition and I reload.

Factory load of 40cal @ $29/50rounds (at Dick's Sporting Goods) = 58¢/round

at 62* rounds per week, that comes to $1,869.92 per year

Reloading 40cal at .107¢/round = $5.35/50 rounds

at 62* rounds per week, that comes to $344.97 per year ( if you include the price of equipment for one year at $500for a Dillion your still at $844 you save $1000/year reloading

I shoot every Wednesday night..........even if you include the equipment the saving are freaking HUGE (BTW, I used Miggy's calculator) without Miggy's calculator I came up with 12¢/round

The equipment will pay for it'self in no time

*62 rounds per week is about the average number of rounds shot.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

okay? after re-reading my post:

Whaaa?????? THAT doesn't work at all?? I shoot competition and I reload.

that sounds like I'm going to meetings for an addiction or something
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

thanks guys!

Thanks everybody! so i think i will start to reload and how much would i be looking at for an initial investment? Any things that you guys recommend starting with?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    Thanks everybody! so i think i will start to reload and how much would i be looking at for an initial investment? Any things that you guys recommend starting with?
    How many rounds per year do you shoot, or how many do you anticipate shooting?

How much time do you intend on spending doing the reloading?

How much do you intend to invest in the initial equipment for the 4 caliblers you want to reload?

These questions will be very helpful in determining what equipment you might want to purchase.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

How many rounds per year do you shoot, or how many do you anticipate shooting? - about 1k of 9mm, 1k 0f 45 and 500ea 38 and 357

How much time do you intend on spending doing the reloading? -As long as it takes(I have quite a bit of spare time in the week).

How much do you intend to invest in the initial equipment for the 4 caliblers you want to reload?- I would say no more than 500-600 with enough components for a years supply
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    brass is very expensive here i have a little but not a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links