Reloading nooby question

Reloading nooby question

This is a discussion on Reloading nooby question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I hope this is in the right spot-Mods. I went to Dicks for .40 S&W and they sell a box of reloads in 250 count ...

Reloading nooby question

I hope this is in the right spot-Mods. I went to Dicks for .40 S&W and they sell a box of reloads in 250 count for $70. A 50 box of Rem is $20. The casings weren't all brass and the bullets looked like lead. I have read some ranges don't let you shoot lead.
    1. Would these be ok to shoot through my G27?
    2 If I keep the casings can I reload them again?
    Pricing out and doing research now on equipment and supplies. Any help will be appreciated.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

You asked for controversy you got it. I personnally would not shoot reloads in a Glock with the factory barrel. Glock barrels have unsupported chambers and can be damaged more easily because of this. In addition, the barrels have polygonal rifling which Leads quite easily. Leading in barrels can cause dangerous increases in internal pressures and a possible KABOOM. Read the following link
    Glock kB! FAQ v1.35. If you are going to shoot reloads use an after market barrel and keep your loads conservative. Lots of people say they shoot reloads thru their Glocks with the factory barrels with no problems. Not me

Not asking for controversy at all. Thanks for the quick response! I just saw the reloads were more affordable but have heard not to shoot them. Plus the lead looking bullets I wasnt sure if, I should put them through my gun or even be allowed at the range with them. I will stick with the 180gr remington or simular at range. I have heard the .40 casings were weak but that was a 1960's report, didnt know if things have gotten better. Thanks again!
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

I shoot reloads in my G19 all the time, but they are copper plated not lead.
    I would stay away from lead in the Glock.

What I was trying to say is that the topic is controversial with lots of opinions. I reload 40 S&W, but use an after market barrel on my Glock 23 and I am conservative on my loads. The problem with straight not jacketed lead bullets is particulate Lead in the air. No amount of filtration in an indoor range is going to get rid of all of it. Lead is a cumulative poison and I choose not to play Russiam Roulette with my body. I would shoot Lead bullets but only outdoors and even there not a steady diet.

Got-cha, thanks again. I will stick with standard rounds too avoid problems.

If you do get a after market barrel for the factory reloads, these may be cheaper for you

amo
    I am remingtondude58 on Michigan gun owners as well

Links