SHTF Ammo Reloading For People Who Don't Reload.

This is a discussion on SHTF Ammo Reloading For People Who Don't Reload. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I recommend the hand press for $20. You use standard dies....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHTF Ammo Reloading For People Who Don't Reload.

I recommend the hand press for $20. You use standard dies.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I dont reload, but this seems like it would be really slow. Am I right?
    There is a video on YouTube of some old man reloadin a rifle cartridge in 40 seconds. Slow? depends on what your comparing it to I guess.

If I only wanted to load a few rounds a year for my bolt guns, that is what I'd buy.

I have thought about buying one of those for my .308 and 30-06, since I only have one of each and they are both bolt guns, so neck sizing will work well. But since I have the Lee Hand Press, the same money can buy me a full die set, so I'm going to do that instead.(already have a set for .308, but not 30-06) I still might buy one of those one day anyway. It is more portable than anything out there for sure.

I agree with the above post from Tubby. I really can't say enough about how well the hand press has worked thus far. It would take some strength to resize anything above a 30-06 though, I think.

Military .308 brass has some good resistance to it on the hand press, nothing the average person can't handle, but I would wonder about sizing the big stuff with it.

The best survival application for the Lee Loader would be if you were creating a cache. Some primers, a pound of powder, some bullets and a hammer, and your all set. Perhaps keep it all in a water tight container at some mysterious offsite location that will be impervious to zombie attacks?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I got started in reloading with the Lee Hand press and still use it for most of my needs. I also have the Lee Loader for a few selected cartridges, just for the SHTF scenarios where I have to grab one or two bags and need a compact, single item, do-it-all kind of set-up. In those cases, space and weight will be at a premium; the Lee Loader fits the bill perfectly.

As an aside, I really like using the handloader. It allows me to load in stages in front of the TV in 15-20 minute stages, e.g., size and deprime 100-200 one night, prime and expand them the next, etc. I can stop at any point. Given my volume (200-300 per month) it's the perfect solution. But, I would hate to have to gather all of the pieces together in a rush scenario. However, if I had a hidey-hole I could retreat to, the handloader would be stashed there along with the other components (autoprime, etc.).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links