Reloading Bench Height

Reloading Bench Height

This is a discussion on Reloading Bench Height within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So, I just ordered a bunch of reloading gear (leaving my credit card sizzling) and my thoughts have turned to where to put all this ...

Reloading Bench Height

So, I just ordered a bunch of reloading gear (leaving my credit card sizzling) and my thoughts have turned to where to put all this stuff when it arrives. I'm wondering about how high to build my reloading bench. The fellow I learned from had his presses mounted at desktop height, for use while seated. However, in many of the reloading bench pictures I've seen, they have it mounted higher, for use while standing or sitting on a barstool. I'm wondering what height do people here find comfortable ?

I stand while loading and the benchtop is waist high about 35 inches. I load on a Dillon 550 with strong mount that raises it another 6 inches or so off the bench top.

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

BJ
    The height of a work bench should be determened by the height of the user
    a bench that you would work at while standing should be as heigh as the distance from where your little finger joins your hand a bench that you sit at will be shorter also consider the height of your chair B.J.

Senior Moderator
    My benchs are 36"
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I can tell you what not to do. I have a desk height table and sit on a barstool. It's a PITA when using the mounted powder measure. I wish I had a higher table.

I think bar height, with a barstool would work best for me. (seat height 29-30" table height around 42")

For work a standing work bench, I build them (when I used to build this type of stuff) right at waist high, just below the belt line. This is a good height to mount a vice and other stuff so I guess it would work well for a press too.

You could C clamp your equipment onto some different height benches (neigbor's workbench, wife's kitchen bar counter) and tables, try different seats etc. and see how it feels to you, then build what feels best.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    IMG_2602.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    So, I just ordered a bunch of reloading gear (leaving my credit card sizzling) and my thoughts have turned to where to put all this stuff when it arrives. I'm wondering about how high to build my reloading bench. The fellow I learned from had his presses mounted at desktop height, for use while seated. However, in many of the reloading bench pictures I've seen, they have it mounted higher, for use while standing or sitting on a barstool. I'm wondering what height do people here find comfortable ?
    Attached is a weekend workbench that I built that should be able to able to handle all your needs. Dimensions are 34" 1/2" h. x 32" d. x 84" L. the top is a new solid core door that I paid less than $20 at salvage. Even Home Depot and Lowe's have some that you can bargain for. This table is very is very strong.

I will send the plans but the file will probably be too large. Send. me a PM if interested.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SIGP250; April 14th, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    How big of a bench do you want?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Personally I like my presses and other things at eye level. This has worked for me since I started reloading many years ago as a teenager.
    Attached Images
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    How big of a bench do you want?
    The space I have for it is 10 feet long, and if I don't build a bench long enough to cover the entire area I'm sure I'll regret it later.

i use a desk height home made table and i set in a regular desk chair. been doing it this way for 40 plus years.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links