Reloading 9mm economics?

This is a discussion on Reloading 9mm economics? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. I have access to reloading equipment free of charge. (Wife's grandfather) I would ...

Thread: Reloading 9mm economics?

Reloading 9mm economics?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. I have access to reloading equipment free of charge. (Wife's grandfather) I would only have to buy the dies for 9mm then the shells, primers, bullets, and powder, etc. At the current prices and availability of ammunition how much more economical is it to reload your own bullets?

2. Remove Ads

Depends if you are using your own brass or not. If youve got a good supply of your own brass already then buying projectiles, powder and primers in bulk is certainly cheaper than factory loaded ammo.

You do have the time factor to take into account

Im just starting reloading and have 1200 rounds of brass saved and another 750 of factory loaded waiting to be shot.

Based on reloading cases 10-20 times ive got enough brass for around 20-40,000 rounds.

even if Im saving $2 per 50 then ive more than payed back my reloading equipment costs (in your case just dies)

Great thing about buying in bulk is you effectively freeze the price of your ammo for however long you want (or can afford)

eg if you have enough supplies to reload say 3000 rounds and you shoot 1000 rounds per year, you have 3 years worth of ammo supply at a set price regardless of what the market is doing.

Prices of course will always go up so your next lot of supplies will cost more but overall you will save money if you buy in bulk.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Thank for the info. I currently only have 250 rounds. I do not shoot that often but I may be able to collect the discarded 9mm brass once I become a member of the gun club my wife's grandfather is a member of. If the brass is not picked up you can have it. Helps keep the area clean. I would like to get about 1000 rounds. That should get me started.

Do the math.

It's pretty simple to figure out. Take the number of grains in a pound of powder (7000), divide that by the number grains per charge, say 5.5 and that gives you the number of rounds 1lb. of powder will produce (1273). Divide the cost of the powder (say $22 per lb.) by the number of rounds you just figured out and that will give you the cost per round (1.7)

Next, if 1000 primers cost $30 then that = 3 cents per round. Add that to the running total per round. (1.7 + 3 = 4.7)

Next, buy some bullets. If you get 1000 115 grain fmj from Montana Gold, it will cost you $91. That is 9.1 cents per round. 9.1 + 4.7 = 13.8 cents per round.

Since you will be getting brass for free, no need to add that. Also, I wouldn't add the non-consumable dies. So that's it, 13.8 cents per round, compared to a box of 50 for say $15, which would equal 30 cents per round. Less than half baby. I'd say it's worth it.

Why thank you. I sure do appreciate you doing the math for me too. Here is the list of excuses for why I didn't do the math myself, wait for it, wait for it, have a cold, baby won't let me sleep etc etc No really, I do appreciate the post. The only ammo I can readily buy around here is WWB JHP at $20 a box so the savings would be even more substantial. Looks like I have to build up my supply of brass. Perhaps I should start saving someone elses .40 brass for a future purchase as well.
    Last edited by chains1240; April 22nd, 2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edited for content

Here:

Handloading Cost Calculator

Of course, this doesn't take into account your time.

Who cares about your time? It's a hobby. Do you seriously consider your time in any cost factor in any of your hobbies? If I'm loading 9mm for $7/100, who cares about time? On a LCT it would take 25 minutes to make that. On my Dillon 550 it takes 12 minutes.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If you have the equipment available, it really is a no brainer. 9mm is costing me about 12.70 per hundred, or 127.00 per thousand rounds. Right now if you can find any bulk ammo, it is selling for about 220.00 per thousand. Time well you can't really put a price on that. I am sure we all waste lots of it during a typical week. Spending time at the reloading bench is really a form a relaxation to me. I do most of it at night after the wife and kid are asleep.

Depending on what type of equipment your GFIL has you may or may not want to do 1000 at a time. If it is a turret press or a single stage, you will probably not want to sit down and run 1000 in a setting. You will be there a long time. If it is a progressive press, well you won't be there for very long at all.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I know that my grandfather in law has been doing it for a while and I am not sure of the exact numbers but I think he said he can reload 200 rifle rounds in under 45 minutes. He was unsure if I would have to check the length of the brass on a pistol cartridge like on a rifle cartridge due to the lack of a shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Who cares about your time? It's a hobby. Do you seriously consider your time in any cost factor in any of your hobbies? If I'm loading 9mm for $7/100, who cares about time? On a LCT it would take 25 minutes to make that. On my Dillon 550 it takes 12 minutes.
    No need to get aggressive!! Your time is a factor. If you consider it a hobby, and it gives you enjoyment...go for it. I reload with a handpress. I do it in front of the TV watching sports and break down the steps (e.g., deprime & size, seat primers, etc.) into 15-20 minute chunks, so I'm multi-tasking, not necessarily taking time away from other pursuits. However, for those that are primarily trying to save money, that time may be pulled from some other activities or hobbies, even maybe a second job. One can become a free-lance writer at home, or even a survey taker, and make more money than you save in the same amount of time (at least in my case). For others, reloading may mean time away from the family sitting by yourself at the workbench in the garage. Yes, if you have a nice setup, like a Dillon 550 or 650, you can load a 1000 rounds in an hour and it pays. For others, there may be better alternatives. Each person's circumstances and motivations are different.
    Last edited by alnitak; April 22nd, 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Who cares about your time? It's a hobby.
    At LAST! Someone who GETS IT!

I am SO weary of that lame excuse - "I don't have the time."
    My neighbor used it on me the other day, when he weasled over to ask- yet again- if I would load some "cheap ammo" for him.

I've had enough of this moron, and point-blank jammed him up about his tail-gating, partying, etc. "You got time for all of that, right?"

Needless to say, I'm not his favorite neighbor any more.

I'm gonna lose a lot of sleep over that...

If you shoot ANY appreciable amount, reloading makes all kinds of sense. But it does require a modest outlay of time and resources. And it isn't rocket science. You'll find any number of experienced loaders on these boards who are willing to help get you started.

On a decent progressive press like a Dillon or SBD or most others, an hour's worth of time is 400-500 rounds. If you can give up two sit-coms on TV per week, there's your loading time. I can't remember the last time I watched TV. I'd rather listen to my Dillon humming along. Then again, I also load commercially. Reloading is what I do to escape the world.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links