components

This is a discussion on components within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; With everyone looking to start reloading, where are they finding components? With the exception of 209 primers (shot shell primers), I cant find primers anywhere. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: components

components

With everyone looking to start reloading, where are they finding components? With the exception of 209 primers (shot shell primers), I cant find primers anywhere. I contacted Cabella's and according to their schedule, they expect most primers in late June to mid July w/ Magtechs due in August. All the other large retailers ,who would give a date, had similar schedules. I did find some large rifle primers (which I don't need) for $80 per 1000. I thought the price was rape but someone bought 3k at that price without blinking. I'm tempted to sell/ trade some of my horde at those prices.
    Sorry for the rant but I wondered if others have been seeing the same thing, and if they have sources or stories of "component hunts".
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

I can't get primers anywhere. If you want to see how crazy things really are, get on gunbroker.com and look at what primers are auctioning for. A case of 5000 is over $400 IIRC (six months ago, under $150), a thousand will cost you $165-$175, a few months back they were $27.

I just can't believe it. I have enough on hand to reload my revolers and large rifle calibers, but I need some small rifle primers. There are just none available unless money is no object.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Not finding that problem here in NZ yet, prices seem pretty good as well, apprently our next shipment will be about 20% increase.

I think your dealers are ripping you and capitalising on the shortage.

3000 rounds of lapua 115gr FMJ for $780US
    3000 Federal Primers for $132US
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Ammo supplies starting dropping with prices rising so everybody jumped on the reloading wagon,along with the threat of ammunition banning huge taxes etc. people are buying as many components as possible,my last order I got in Jan after about 6 week backorder and wolf primers were $100.00 5000,I bought 30,000 various and now wish I would have doubled it.Had to change my powder type and bought 16 pounds each of rifle and pistol.I usually wouldn't order that much at once but as you can see It's impossible to get any.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Have you seen the prices on Dies lately? Go to ebay and look. They have .40 cal Carbide RCBS dies-buy it now for 100$.
    Midway has them for much more reasonable prices but are all backordered for the next month.
    I haven't had problems getting primers at a few of the mom and pop gun stores in town, so far.. Payday I may have to stock back up..
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Basically place an order and wait. Things will get better later this year but right now it's choked just like AR stuff has been for a few months. People hoarded guns and have now moved to ammo and reloading components.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Right now is not the best time to get into reloading.

I don't see it getting better any time soon, and I don't see things getting any cheaper, at least until a Presidential Administration that isn't so hostile to freedom is put into place.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just back ordered a bunch of powder, primers and bullets. I'd rather wait and pay a fair price than contribute to the madness. Like Tubby45 pointed out, just a few months ago you would see DPMS stripped lowers for $250 (not just asking, but actually getting buyers). Folks like me, who back ordered them at $120 saved a bunch, and yes, we got our back orders filled.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Have you seen the prices on Dies lately? Go to ebay and look. They have .40 cal Carbide RCBS dies-buy it now for 100$.
    I picked up RCBS 3 carbide die with a shellholder for $56US,
    was 9mm but still great price.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

ebay is no longer a good place to get stuff for handloading. It was before the madness started, but it is no longer. It really get me that items are selling used on ebay for more than they are new (and often in stock) at places like Midway. For instance, i bought a Lee .45ACP 3-die set from Natchez about a week ago for $24. They were in stock and arrived in a few days. The same die sets on ebay are going for $50 or more.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

.223 dies are selling on ebay for over twice the new price, if you could get them new. It' nuts. I was thinking maybe it's foreign buyers who bid up the prices becuase they can't get what they need as easily in say Australia, GB, or New Zealand. Maybe I'm off base, but ebay prices are often higher than retail and it just makes no sense to me at all??????

A $27 dollar box of primers is selling for over $150 on gun broker.

I lucked out today. I checked Craigslist and found some adds for brass.

The one guy had sold the brass advertised but had some in another caliber that I needed (wanted really more than needed) at a pretty cheap price and had 8lbs of powder at a nice price. I'm picking them up tomorrow.

The other guy contacted me back and has some primers he can spare for a decent price so as soon as he emails me his info, I'm gonna get them too.

It also seems that the backorder time to ship at Cabelas has shotened to 1-2 weeks on dies, so I'm gonn place an order for two sets I've been wanting.

I canceled my primer order at the local gun shop, becuase he has been unable to get primers for a month and still can't. I feel bad for the small businessmen in this climate. Gun range attendance is really down and hurting the local gun club here too. Of course both are FFLs so business is booming there and helping them make money despite the other stuff.

So anyway, check Your local Craigslist. Remember, they can't advertise some ammo related stuff, so if they have an add for brass or some other inert component or reloading equipment, email them and ask about other stuff you need. Maybe you'll get lucky like I did.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Some places are getting these parts in stock... when I placed an order a few days ago for my .45 ACP die set, they were out of 9mm die sets. Today, they were in stock (and so I ordered a set). Of course, I got one of the last ones (insert evil laugh here).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I just bought 1000 large rifle from a local dealer for $40
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Cabela's in Lacey, WA had as of yesterday about 30,000 large pistol primers , I believe they were Remington. Price was $33.99. No small pistol primers. I quickly snagged a box of 1,000 and then my thought process took place and I realized I had 2 to 3,000 at home and only use the large primers for my .45 . In short I have at least a 4 month inventory in my stock, so I put the primers back on Cabela's shelf. Realistically, I only need to re-buy heavily in about 2 to 3 months at whatever the current market price will be at the time. So if you shop at the Lacey store and want primers get there early today.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    As it turns out, I got tired of waiting for Midway to fill a backorder for .40 dies; I got them in stock at Kempf. Immediately after that shipped, the backorder (which had a 'next update' date of 13 May) shipped. So I'll have two.

Anybody want a set of .40 dies for, oh, say, $100?

Actually, I will probably keep both. The g/f wants a .40 1911 for competition, so if I have to load bunny-fart rounds for her and real rounds for my P239, I may as well have two setups...

Primers, though... Can't find 'em anywhere. None of the local gun shops carry much in the way of reloading supplies, so it's Internet or nothing for me. Today's unpleasant development is that Powder Valley and Midway aren't even listing Federal primers (most varieties) on their site now, not even as "out of stock". Given that Midway has a category called "Out of Stock, No Backorder" and there's no large Federal pistol primers listed even that way... Not good.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links