Range Brass Recovery Rates

This is a discussion on Range Brass Recovery Rates within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by matiki It sounds like I may have just been unlucky. I was the only one shooting .45 - everyone else had 9mm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Brass Recovery Rates

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    It sounds like I may have just been unlucky. I was the only one shooting .45 - everyone else had 9mm and .40. Perhaps my next range visit will make up for my losses.
    Pick it up and then offer to trade or sell it. 45 will probably be snatched as fast as you can type the offer.

I pick up all lost brass, sort it and offer it for trade with club members. The trades tend to be pretty even. Last trade I did for 40 & 45 (about 1500 pieces) a buddy gave me some 2K of 30 and about 1K of 357 he had gathering dust in a closet. He is happy and I am very very happy!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Pick it up and then offer to trade or sell it. 45 will probably be snatched as fast as you can type the offer.

I pick up all lost brass, sort it and offer it for trade with club members. The trades tend to be pretty even. Last trade I did for 40 & 45 (about 1500 pieces) a buddy gave me some 2K of 30 and about 1K of 357 he had gathering dust in a closet. He is happy and I am very very happy!
    I don't know why I couldn't figure that out myself. Thanks Miggy!

Since I'm only reloading one caliber - I've got far more calibers to trade for it. I could have left with lots of 9mm and .40.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I ordered my reloading gear and today was my first day at the range picking up my brass. I fired 200 rounds and recovered 163 spent casings. Almost exactly 80%. I wanted to find out if that's comparable to others experiences?

I shoot at an indoor range with electric powered hangers - we do not have cease-fires and cannot move forward from our booth to collect our brass. To increase the chances of brass ejecting behind me I shot as far back as I'm allowed.
    I saw a tool that you might like. It's called a brass Wizard You roll it over brass cases on the ground and it picks them up and stores them in a small cage until you empty them into a bucket. It comes with a 4 foot handle so you can get all your brass back. Just type brass wizard in search and it will come up. I saw it at a Glock match in Orlando. it works great.

Thumbs up

I ordered my reloading gear and today was my first day at the range picking up my brass. I fired 200 rounds and recovered 163 spent casings. Almost exactly 80%. I wanted to find out if that's comparable to others experiences?

I shoot at an indoor range with electric powered hangers - we do not have cease-fires and cannot move forward from our booth to collect our brass. To increase the chances of brass ejecting behind me I shot as far back as I'm allowed.
    www.unique tek.com

Here is the address of the company who sells the Brass Wizard. Hope it works for you Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    www.unique tek.com

Here is the address of the company who sells the Brass Wizard. Hope it works for you Tom
    Thanks.

Made Clicky: Brass Wizard

I'm going to ask the range operators if it's Kosher to fish past the firing line. If so, that might be the solution I need.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Brass Wizard.... Oh man.... that is too good!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I don't shoot at indoor ranges, and it has been a long time since I shot at an outdoor public range. Most of the time it is out at camp. With the semi autos I probably get about 95% of it when shooting alone. When shooting with others I get about 240 to 295% of it because I am the only one that reloads, lol.

Revolvers, 100% recovery. Lever and bolt action guns, 100% recovery. Semi autos rifles, I don't worry about it cause I don't reload for those calibers, it is usually steel cased ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links