Range Brass Recovery Rates

This is a discussion on Range Brass Recovery Rates within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I ordered my reloading gear and today was my first day at the range picking up my brass. I fired 200 rounds and recovered 163 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Brass Recovery Rates

Range Brass Recovery Rates

I ordered my reloading gear and today was my first day at the range picking up my brass. I fired 200 rounds and recovered 163 spent casings. Almost exactly 80%. I wanted to find out if that's comparable to others experiences?

I shoot at an indoor range with electric powered hangers - we do not have cease-fires and cannot move forward from our booth to collect our brass. To increase the chances of brass ejecting behind me I shot as far back as I'm allowed.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

LOL! When I shoot at the indoor range, my recovery percentage isn't quite as good as when I shoot the outdoor range. Outdoors, it's about 99%. Indoors, I'd say 75% of my own, and the remainder of others. More and more folks seem to be leaving less and less behind at the range for some odd reason.

VIP Member
    Yet another reason to shoot and carry an old fashioned wheelgun. 100% brass recovery.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I usually miss one or two but that is it. I always look through the bucket too! Amazing what people leave.

Highly dependent on the range. Besides indoor/outdoor, the surface of an outdoor range makes a big difference. Big chunks of gravel for casings to fall down between, or loose sandy soil that stepped on casings get pushed down into, lower recovery rates. Snow really drives down the recovery rate (the range must get a ton of brass come spring thaw).

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I usually miss one or two but that is it. I always look through the bucket too! Amazing what people leave.
    I wish I could do that. Since no one is allowed past the firing line, procedure is to just sweep everything out into the lanes. As a result, no picking through what others leave. The range then sells the brass to a reloader somewhere (I asked who/where once, thought I was going to get shot for doing so).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

When I shoot at the outdoor rifle range, my recover rate is near 100%. I'm pretty dilligent and there is no grass around the shooting benches for it to get lost in. They aren't that hard to find on the gravel.

When I shoot at the indoor pistol range, it's much higher. I tend to go in with 100 rounds and come out with 150+ pieces of brass :-) Last time I fired my 9mm, i went to the range with 50 rnds and came home with over 125. Somehow they seem to reproduce or something.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 25th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I always come home with more brass that what I left with.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My Buddy and I been buying weekly brass from our gun range since the employee gets to sell the brass to supplement his paycheck we just pay him and take it home to sort it,I have about 1000 pounds of unsorted brass,If they try to control ammo were planning ahead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Depends I shoot at one indoor range and my recovery rate for 9mm and .40cal is about 2-300%
    357Sig is about 80%

.45acp is always about 95%, there is always one casing that rolls under some object and hides.

Generally I find that 9mm and .40cal casings are always in good supply. finding extra .45acp is like a gift from the gods, sometimes you find piles of 357Sig because fewer people reload it, if you find it, save it and sell one day if you don't buy the dies for it, same with .45acp.

7.62x51 is almost never left behind unless berdan primed.

I don't reload(yet), But my .308 will get me there. I am starting to keep my
    9mm brass though. Recovery rate is great as there is always alot of 9mm casings laying around the range.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I always come home with more brass that what I left with.

+1. I went to an IDPA match yesterday, shoot about 75 rounds and returned home with 15 pounds of brass
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

i get around 90 to 95% with auto. 100% with wheel guns. i also will look around for what others leave.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It sounds like I may have just been unlucky. I was the only one shooting .45 - everyone else had 9mm and .40. Perhaps my next range visit will make up for my losses.

Sometimes my handgun brass mutates into .270 -.30-06 -.30-30 brass. In hunting season it not only mutates but breeds as well!
    Very annoying! All that rifle stuff jumping into my hand as I pick up my 45 brass!

My recovery rate has double ever since my yard ape turned into a brass monkey. But he insists on shooting my reloads! Kind of a double edged sword.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links