Powder supply drying up?

This is a discussion on Powder supply drying up? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by torrejon224 Been that way here since about Feb, all thats usually available is muzzleloader powder but yesterday I got lucky and hit ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder supply drying up?

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    Been that way here since about Feb, all thats usually available is muzzleloader powder but yesterday I got lucky and hit a small shop I usually don't go into and scored to jugs each of WW748 and IMR4895 plus three of WW Autocomp. Also managed to get 8k of primers!! Two each small and large pistol and four small rife, the shop was wiped out before I left, word spreads fast!! I already had four each of Clays and Unique, two Green Dot, two Varget, some Titegroup and WW231 along with about another 7k of primers so I'm set for awhile. It's amazing how quick this stuff is drying up. A few weeks ago I bought a few thousand of PMC primers at another shop which I have never used before but if all's that available is foreign stuff, I'll take it. I think we will be seeing a lot more of the foreign primers (PMC, Wolf, etc) but as long as they do the job and the price is right, thats OK. The PMC's were just under $30 a thousand so there all approx the same price unless you look at Gunbroker where I saw WW primers for $120 per thousand!!! Unreal.
    Well yea it is all drying up, it seem to be all at your house.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Check here: Powder Valley, Inc.

I know the Hazmat fee feels a bit stiff, but my circle of hand loaders has just done a "group buy" of sorts so it gets spread around.

MidwayUSA has a fairly good supply of AA and others. Well, they did a few days ago.

My problem is primers. I feel I have plenty of powder, probably too much, but it's no good without primers which NOBODY seems to have. I did manager to get 5k Federal Large Pistol from Powder Valley a couple of months ago but currently I'm back-ordered at Cabelas for who knows how long. And Cabelas seems to be the only site allowing primer back-orders.

I'm just thankful I cast most of my bullets and have some lead alloy socked away. But even cheap lead in the form of wheel weights is drying up...very hard to find. I can buy alloy online but that would make my own bullets only 1-2 cents per bullet cheaper than commercial hard cast bullets. I'm used to at least a 5 cent difference per bullet.

Forgive the pun, but I just might bite the bullet and buy a couple hundred pounds of hardball alloy. It too might start disappearing.
    10mm; when you care enough to send the very best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links