Powder supply drying up?

Powder supply drying up?

This is a discussion on Powder supply drying up? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have always heard that you should "keep your powder dry", but it now seems that powders supplies themselves are "drying up." I thought that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Powder supply drying up?

I have always heard that you should "keep your powder dry", but it now seems that powders supplies themselves are "drying up."

I thought that perhaps I should pick up some extra rifle powder to have on hand in case the current frenzy started to effect supplies in the future. Looks like I waited too long. My local GS says he can't get any rifle powder now. He said he could sell 10 cases of it right now if he could get any, because so many of us have come in asking for it.

I usually buy from him, to keep from paying hazmat fees and shipping, but since he can't get powder I came home and did some checking online, and deicded to bite the bullet and order some for delivery.

I load for medium rifle calibers mainly and try to stick to one powder only if I can, to keep things simple. I have been using Reloader 15 because it is a very versitile powder that covers every caliber I own. IMR 4895 is pretty much equivalent and will do the same jobs with a bit lower fps according to my manuals.

Anyway, I can't find either one in stock anywhere so far online. A few weeks ago powder was not a problem, but it seems the madness has moved into this area now as well.

Anyone else having problems getting powder?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    I usually get the 8 pound cans, so I haven't had to buy any in awhile. Its cheaper buying in bulk. Some of the more popular versatile powders are getting hard to find. It's not just powder, it's all things reloading.

A lot of people that have wanted to do it for sometime are feeling the push to get it done.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I can find any I'm gonna go ahead and get a 5 or 8 pound can this time. (I think RL 15 only comes in 1lb or 5lb cans, not 8lb, but I'm not sure) I have a 1lb un-opened can and another that is about half full, so I can get by for a while.

I guess I'm feeling the push a little too. I just picked up 8 lbs of pistol power last week, that's what made me think I should do the same with rifle powder and just be done with it for a while. That much powder will last me a LONG time. I used less than a pound of pistol powder in the last year and about 1 lb of rifle powder, so I'll be good for a while when I get some.

Senior Moderator
    I use mostly 4895 and 4350 for rifles and Accurate 5# and 9# for pistols.

That right there covers a lot of turf.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

10-4 on that. I have used unique for all my pistol stuff, but just bought 8lbs of Bullseye. Either one will cover every caliber I own. (38spl, 357, .9mm, .40, and .45acp) I don't plan to reload for my .38 super because I never shoot it but they would probably cover that too.

I just switched from unique and reloader7 to H322 for rifle and American select for pistol,after researching load data I found those powders would replace what I have since the others were and had been out of stock for awhile,last order I put in was for 30,000 primers at $100.00@5000 and 16 pounds of each powder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

powder and primers are hard to find. been that way for several months. also the price has gone sky high if you can find them. ammo and reloading supplies are hard to find. what better way to start gun control. no ammo to shoot, what good is the gun. no reloading supplies to make ammo, what good is the gun. when ammo got hard to find, it looks like everbody got out their reloading equipment and made a run on supplies,,,or the companies stopped making reloading supplies.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    powder and primers are hard to find. been that way for several months. also the price has gone sky high if you can find them. ammo and reloading supplies are hard to find. what better way to start gun control. no ammo to shoot, what good is the gun. no reloading supplies to make ammo, what good is the gun. when ammo got hard to find, it looks like everbody got out their reloading equipment and made a run on supplies,,,or the companies stopped making reloading supplies.
    You're tell me, I found that out today when I payed $100/1000 for CCI large pistol primers and looked online where it was going for $35 or so... but they ware always OUT OF STOCK and I want to learn reloading ASAP so I been getting everything I can.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

$100/1000 for CCI large pistol primers
    Ouch, at that price it would be cheaper to shoot factory ammo. I just paid $35 for 1000 large pistol (Magtec) from a local guy about a month ago. Last week I paid $40 for 1000 large rifle, again from a local dealer.

A couple days ago at gander mountain I came across two puunds of Varget (very hard to come by around here) I bought one pound and left the other pound for the next guy.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

I found a source for powder in the next county over. He said he has plenty of 4895, so I'm piking up 8 lbs tomorrow. It will do, since I can't find any RL 15 anywhere. I just don't want to have to play this seek to find game in the future. I'm tired of it, so after tomorrow I'll have everything I need for a long while as far as powder and primers go.

Looks like my '06 dies and trimmer are in at Cabelas and ready for pickup, but the .223 Bullets and dies are still on backorder. .223 bullets expected delivery 5/29, dies expected deliver date 6/29. When I placed the order it said 1-3 weeks, now it's 1-2 months?????????

Talking Just in the nick of time!

Man was I lucky. Last week when I talked to the guy he said he had plenty of powder. When I got there today he only had one 8lb jug of 4895 left and I got it. Small miracles are what makes life worth living though.

He said he doesn't expect to have any primers for six months or so. I told him "I've got enough for now, I'll call you in a few months and see if you have any."

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have always purchased powder in the 8lb containers.....you can load a hell of a lot of .38 special and .357 mag with 8lbs......
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Most of the local stores I go to are short on everything. One of them did get a lot of stock of large pistol primers which I gobbled up but small pistol primers and powder are another story..
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Just a little tip for you guys having trouble finding pistol powder.

Attend a local trapshoot and check out the vendors. Most of them have powder in the larger size containers at resonable prices. Those clay target shooters run thru more powder in a day than most of you will use in a year !

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Been that way here since about Feb, all thats usually available is muzzleloader powder but yesterday I got lucky and hit a small shop I usually don't go into and scored to jugs each of WW748 and IMR4895 plus three of WW Autocomp. Also managed to get 8k of primers!! Two each small and large pistol and four small rife, the shop was wiped out before I left, word spreads fast!! I already had four each of Clays and Unique, two Green Dot, two Varget, some Titegroup and WW231 along with about another 7k of primers so I'm set for awhile. It's amazing how quick this stuff is drying up. A few weeks ago I bought a few thousand of PMC primers at another shop which I have never used before but if all's that available is foreign stuff, I'll take it. I think we will be seeing a lot more of the foreign primers (PMC, Wolf, etc) but as long as they do the job and the price is right, thats OK. The PMC's were just under $30 a thousand so there all approx the same price unless you look at Gunbroker where I saw WW primers for $120 per thousand!!! Unreal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links