What can you do with Bowling Alley Lanes?

This is a discussion on What can you do with Bowling Alley Lanes? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Why make a reloading bench out of a 6 foot section of course! One of the old bowling alleys was being torn down since the ...

Thread: What can you do with Bowling Alley Lanes?

What can you do with Bowling Alley Lanes?

Why make a reloading bench out of a 6 foot section of course! One of the old bowling alleys was being torn down since the new one was built right behind it and the public was welcome to come and take what they wanted from it. So me being the smart a$$ I am I jokingly said hey father section of the lane would make a nice reloading bench. Well lo and behold a 6 foot section found its way into the back of my truck and into the garage. That was last Saturday. This Saturday after a trip to Home Depot for some wood that we didn't think to grab from the alley and some screws and some 4x4 posts. So anyone else have this wacky idea for a reloading bench? last 3 pictures are with my cell phone of the inside of the bowling alley. Well whats left of it. Now all we have to do is bolt down the press and we're good to go. Even has wheels to move it around in the garage
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

As far as 'lucky strikes'...you got one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Good hard wood. I believe lane wood is made from Rock Maple.
    GREAT stuff for a bench top.
    Good creative thinking.

hard wood or not dang things are heavy as hell. We used my truck to take the sections the guy was cutting up and 8 or 9 of them make my truck sit level in the back end. a Pallet of grass barely does that. I think in all the guy that was cutting them up probably took @ least 3 full lanes cut in 6 foot sections. He cut 2 in 8 foot sections to make a bench top for himself. The rest he was going to turn into tables and sell. So besides the manual labor and gas my work bench only cost me about $50 in screws and wood. I'd hate to see how much it costs to make a bowling alley lane.

They were tearing down Three Points bowling alley lane on old goldenrod and hoffner, don't know if you know where that is Retsupt. As far as i know its been there well over 20 years. Just FYI since you live in central florida area

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would love some of that maple! I have mand some great furniture out of recycled hardwoods. I am surprised that they didn't sell it to a salvage place. It is probably work a few dollars a square foot.

I'm surprised as well. Basically i think the workers/owners and close family friends were in the bar having a going away party or something the whole day. I was there in the morning until early afternoon then went back early evening with my best friend and his dad to get them some more wood and they were still going @ it in the bar. Pretty much the only part of the place that was untoched. The whole building was supposed to be demolished the next day. Wish i had known about it earlier i would have grabbed more wood and seen if they kept the bowling pins for the new bowling alley or bought new ones.

They did however make some niiiice looking round tables from the bowling lanes that they were going to supposedly put in the new bowling alley. I'd have grabbed one of those just to have it if i had been able to

I'm surprised as well. Basically i think the workers/owners and close family friends were in the bar having a going away party or something the whole day. I was there in the morning until early afternoon then went back early evening with my best friend and his dad to get them some more wood and they were still going @ it in the bar. Pretty much the only part of the place that was untoched. The whole building was supposed to be demolished the next day. Wish i had known about it earlier i would have grabbed more wood and seen if they kept the bowling pins for the new bowling alley or bought new ones.

They did however make some niiiice looking round tables from the bowling lanes that they were going to supposedly put in the new bowling alley. I'd have grabbed one of those just to have it if i had been able to

A sad thing to see, indeed a bowling alley going out of business... As a former semi-professional bowler that always gets my attention.

My Mom & dad bought a dinner table made from a 10 foot section of lane and it 6 guys to get it in the house.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Nice work. Good reloading bench there. I'm thinking it would be great work table material for most any sort of work bench.

I'll be looking for bowling alleys being torn down now. I ain't real smart, but I'm that smart.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Makes a super great bar top.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links