Cabelas - I need to rant.

This is a discussion on Cabelas - I need to rant. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I had ordered 1 set of 30-06 dies, one set of .223 dies, 200 55 gr .223 fmj bullets, and a 30-06 case trimmer from ...

Thread: Cabelas - I need to rant.

Red face Cabelas - I need to rant.

I had ordered 1 set of 30-06 dies, one set of .223 dies, 200 55 gr .223 fmj bullets, and a 30-06 case trimmer from Cabelas and it was to be picked up at the store so I wouldn't have to pay shipping, which is as much as a set of dies costs nowadays.

The 30-06 dies and case trimmer came in the other day, but the backorder date on the .223 dies and bullets were 6/29 and 5/29 respectively.

So, tonight I drive an hour to Cabelas to pick up my '06 dies and trimmer. While there, I walk back to the reloading section just to check if they have any RL-15 or primers (they didn't have either). Low and behold, there are four sets of the .223 dies I ordered on the shelf. Now how does it make sense to tell me that I have to wait until June 29th when there are four sets sitting on the shelf in the **** store where I am supposed to pick up my other stuff?

Long story short, I went ahead and bought a set of the .223 dies they had, along with some bullets that are different and more expensive than the ones I have ordered. Picked up my 30-06 stuff and now have to call and cancel the other set of dies that is still on backorder. What a nightmare.

I guess I am kinda happy though, becuase now I have some new stuff to play with that I didn't expect to have.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

That would kinda frustrate me too...I do understand that the stores and order stuff are pretty separate, but in the name of customers satisfaction...grow a few brain cells and have someone put your ordered ones on the self when they come in, so you can have yours now...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sounds like they need a better inventory system or business plan, maybe both. Inactive inventory sitting on a shelf costs them money and as you point out, does not bode well for customer satisfaction.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    Yes look on the bright side. You made the trip and it was not a waste of time. You got the stuff, cancel the order and enjoy what You got. Your lucky to have gone. Good deal.

That's the difference in working with a large company employee and the owner of a small gun shop. Guess who cares more about customer satisfaction?

Instead of making two trips, it's one trip and a phone call...it works!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Cabela's customer service will probably do something for you (credit or money back) if you press the issue. Midway has pulled some strange stuff with me and, after I raised he!! I got a nice credit. Just a thought..............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Cabelas mail order and retail stores are two separate animals with two separate "warehouses". Yes they are the same company, but they run mostly independent of each other.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Cabelas is over 125 miles one way, so if I want something from there it is always either catalog or phone call to store time.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sorry SgtD, but I don't really see this as poor customer service at all. By my count, Cabela's currently has about 29 stores open and operating across the country. Catalog and internet orders are shipped from warehouses, not from retail outlets. Given the quantity of orders they must process, it wouldn't be prudent to take every item from every order that isn't currently in warehouse stock and contact each store to see if they have one on the shelf. In-store stock and warehouse stock are two totally different animals. OTOH, glad you found at least part of what you were needing. .223 dies seem pretty scarce right now.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

As my wife says" time to write a letter ". So far it has worked

I'm over it now, and much calmer. I realize that the store and warehouse are separate. still, it would seem simple to have done what Cupcake said,(which is what I tried to ge them to do) but I guess that's against policy or something. That's how it goes when you're dealing with big companies I guess.

Happy to have the dies sooner than expected, and just took 100 pices of brass out of the tumbler. So I'll be loading some tonight for next Saturday's range session.

Maybe instead of canceling the other die order, I'll just wait for them to come in and then put them on ebay for 60 or 70 bucks.(insert evil laugh here) (wait, guilt kicking in) Nooo, no, no, that would just be wrong . . . (pondering) . . .or would it?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links