reloaders

This is a discussion on reloaders within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am looking for some advice on reloaders. I want to start to reload .45 acp rounds. I have heard that dillon makes a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloaders

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

reloaders

I am looking for some advice on reloaders. I want to start to reload .45 acp rounds. I have heard that dillon makes a good all around loader. I would love to hear what some of you own and what you would recommend. I want to capability to reload pistol and rifle with the same machine, of course with different dies. Thank you in advance for you comments.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I reload .45 ACP with my Dillon 550B and a Dillon carbide die set....it's all good stuff. It's a good all-around reloader if you want to reload both handgun and rifle calibers.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    You'll see the word DILLON mentioned in every reloading thread on the net.

There is a reason for that.

It is by far, the best operation out there. Its a bit pricey at first, but well worth it.

Dont Mess around with anything less.

Assistant Administrator
    If I was starting out then Dillon for sure. I no longer do the quantities I used to and so my old Lee stuff does fine.

Biggest thing perhaps with Dillon is their stellar - dare I say astounding - customer care. Break something - it gets replaced. Superb.

Oh and other thing - if you are starting reloading then again yes for sure - Dillon. Get that investment out the way and you'll never regret it over decades of reloading.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 on the Dillon. It's the same as buying a new gun - spend the $$ and cry once, versus buying cheap and regretting it.

I would recommend buying the dies new, but there are deals out there on lightly used presses, case tumblers, etc.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Thanks for the great advice. Yes I hear Dillon ALL the time. I guess that means something. i have been looking at the 550b or the xl650. anyone have opinions on these two machines?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

IMHO, the 650 gives you room to grow, and allows you to reload in quantity efficiently. If you aren't going to reload large quantities, then a 550 might be all you need.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Moderator
    The 650 is automated...meaning that the machine indexes the shell plate everytime you crank the handle. With the 550, you must do this yourself. I dont see that as a big disadvantage though and the conversions kits for the 550 are cheaper.

The 550 will turn out from 500-600 rounds and hour, the 650 will do 600-700 rounds an hour.

The 550 takes a litte less time to set up for the various calibers, the 650 will load a bit quicker than the 550.

Having extensive experience on both machines, unless you shoot over a thousand rounds a week, the 550 will serve you well. Shoot more than that, and the 650 will save time and may be the way to go.

I started on an AT-500, basically a neutered RL550. I liked the ability to load one round at a time and really get a handle on the basics, while still being more productive than on a single stage press. Over the years I have bought the parts to upgrade to the 550, which is more expensive than buying it complete the first time.

I've never tried a 650, but by all accounts they are awesome machines. The 500/550 has suited my needs admirably, so I doubt I will upgrade anytime soon.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

I started out with a 450 and upgraded to a 550. It has met all my needs for the past 20 some years.

NOBODY has better customer service in any industry (in my experience).

Unless you're in regular competition I'd say the 550 would be the best bang for the buck (if you pardon the expression)
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

I started reloading about 25 years ago on a Bear Kodiak (now out of business) single stage, similar to an RCBS Rockchucker. I started using a Dillon 550B when my son and I started shooting IPSC.

I load .45 ACP and 38 special on the 550, but my old single stage still gets used a lot. I shoot several rifle calibers and I load all those on the single stage. Just too expensive to buy all those changeovers for the Dillon with no more rifle loads than I reload. I also do .480 Ruger and .44 Mag on the single stage.

Also on my bench are a Pacific 12 ga reloader and a MEC 600 Jr. 28 ga reloader, but that's another thread.

I dapple in the reloading and bought a cheap old Lee Press and some dies. It Actually came in a set. Ya know I havent had a lick off trouble with it. I have reloaded 223, 9mm, 38 special and 30-30 and all have worked out for me. Just a cheap LEE anniversary kit. It doesnt come with all the dies you have to buy them seperate but it hasent given me a prob one. Hell I think you can get them through cabelas.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

I have always been happy with my single stage press.I like to take my time and inspect my rounds as they come out.My favorite press is a Rock Chucker.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I own a Dillon 550B, and it's great, but I think that the Hornaday progressive presses are a bit better and do a couple of things better. (il.e. spent primer handling). However, people look at you funny if you don't have a Dillon. And I do like Dillon's customer service, but I hear that Hornady is doing the smae thing, but it hasn't aquired the legendary status of Dillon's yet.

I'ts a matter of time vs. money as to whether you go for a single stage or more automated one... if you have a lot of time and little money, single stage is perfect. If like me, you have more money than time (and I don't have that much money) the progressives are more worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links