Product Review - Lee Perfect Powder Measure

This is a discussion on Product Review - Lee Perfect Powder Measure within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Thought I would share my recent experience with these products. After testing my 115FMJ 9mm 4.3 gr reloads sucessfully this weekend I decided to go ...

Thread: Product Review - Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Thought I would share my recent experience with these products.

After testing my 115FMJ 9mm 4.3 gr reloads sucessfully this weekend I decided to go into production and make 250 rounds.

I felt the 4.3 was a little light so worked up the load to 4.5gr.

After zeroing out the Lee Scales I moved the grain slide upto 4.5 grains and threw out 3 sets of 2 loads form the Lee Perfect powder (adjusting each time to get 4.5 gr).

I loaded 250 rounds and checked every 10th throw on the Lee scale, all but 3 of my test\check loads were 4.5 exact, I got a couple of 4.3 and mabey a 4.6 in there.

I was very impressed with the consistancy and the check every 10th load really just serves as peace of mind for the reloader and its quick to do anyway.

The only things I did was

a) kept the hopper above 1/2 way mark
    b) be consistant with the speed and movement when operating the dispensing lever

Im not sure if there is such a thing as set and forget in reloading but the Lee PPM must come close.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Beats the heck out of a dipper don't it?

Glad your enjoying the process. Nothing like trying out that first box of reloads and getting the feeling of, wow this stuff really works.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a Lee PPM. Its feels cheap and fly by night, especially compared to my RCBS Uniflows, and even to Lee's own Pro Auto Disk. However, its dead on accurate and very reliable. I like it so much, I just ordered another (for $19, hard to argue with).
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I used the RCBS uniflow in the past and now use the Lee's own Pro Auto Disk with Lee's flow through expander die. Once it's dialed in I get dead on loads. I just give a quick dust off to the top of the exposed disk every so often to keep it from binding up (depends on the type of powder).

One step and I am ready to seat and crimp my bullet.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I used the RCBS uniflow in the past and now use the Lee's own Pro Auto Disk with Lee's flow through expander die. Once it's dialed in I get dead on loads. I just give a quick dust off to the top of the exposed disk every so often to keep it from binding up (depends on the type of powder).

One step and I am ready to seat and crimp my bullet.

bosco
    You are not the only one. An aquaintance of mine, who is a fellow hunter ed. instructor, cowboy action shooter, and long time reloader is the one who suggested the PPM to me when I was getting started.

He said his other brands of measures sometimes have trouble with stick powders, but the PPM works equally as well with rifle or pistol powder. I took his advice and got one, and have not been dissapointed.

Heylin, glad to hear you loads are working out well for you.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Been using my Lee's (two) for a few years. Very consistent 99.9% of the time. For the price you cannot beat Lee's products.

Heylin, I must ask what type of powder you were metering?

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, but it's one of the first ones. It does larger stick powder very well, flake powder okay and leaks the smaller ball powders like a sieve. Perhaps in time Lee has 'perfected' the manufacture process, but I could never recommend this powder measure to another.

Required disclaimer: I now have a Dillon 650 and Dillon measure. It works very well with all manner of powders, although it is tedious getting set. I still use nearly all Lee dies and my primary scale is a Lee. (But I usually use the Dillon electronic scale.)
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

I use mine for Unique pistol powder and Reloader 15 rifle powder. IIRC, I had to tighten the screw on the side when I first bought it because it did leak a bit of Unique. Once I set the screw tight enough, I haven't had a problem with it leaking since.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have the auto pro powder measure works great. I added an adjustable charge bar to fine tune my charges. Read a bunch of bad reviews about the charge bar but mine works fine. I have had success with Lee products and it's nice they fit my budget.

Heylin, I must ask what type of powder you were metering?
    Im using AP70N from ADI, (Australian Brand) not sure thats available in US, but the equivalent is Hodgeson Universal.

Its a disc powder with medium to above medium burn rate.

Ive had no problems with leaking at all and havent adjusted anything on my measure except for the charge measure.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Links