Show us yer bench

This is a discussion on Show us yer bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I did resize some .308 and 30-06 with it the way it was just to try it out. It worked, but it was wobbly. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us yer bench

I did resize some .308 and 30-06 with it the way it was just to try it out. It worked, but it was wobbly. I usually resize and deprime with the handpress in the living room anyway, while I sit in my easy chair and watch a movie or something.

I never actually planned on mounting a press to that table. I planned to stick with the using the handpress until I moved, since it works so well. But I was able to pick up this Challenger press for $31 on ebay, so what the heck. Then I had to beef up the table.

You know how it goes, one project always seems to lead to another.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    SgtD, don't let the flame turn you off to casting. That was a show off pic I made for someone. It's the result of using pine bedding for flux in a 900 degree lead melt. If you use lube or beeswax you won't get that flame so high. It's good to burn the flux fumes to prevent breathing it in. Wear a mask when casting too.
    I am very interested in gun smithing but not so much in reloading. One of the stipulations when I got my local business license was that I could not "forge" or build any guns on the premises. I take that to mean reloading and casting as well. I should be getting a visit from my local ATF agent who supervises my FFL Lic. soon so I will ask.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Bullets are not firearms.

Are you getting an 01 license then? Be very careful not to cross the line into manufacturing. Generally, anything done to or added to a receiver, frame or firearm prior to a 4473 or FFL to FFL transfer is manufacturing and you'll need an 07 FFL for that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Bullets are not firearms.

Are you getting an 01 license then? Be very careful not to cross the line into manufacturing. Generally, anything done to or added to a receiver, frame or firearm prior to a 4473 or FFL to FFL transfer is manufacturing and you'll need an 07 FFL for that.
    Understood, bullets are not regulated by ATF. The local ATF agent though wanted me to be sure local zoning and CLEO was ok. All of that has been approved. I will transfer some type I.
    firearms to other dealers.

Local ATF said they do not care about gun-smithing and did not need to see my certifications. It is only a local business license
    stipulation. They did not put any of the stipulations in writing however when they granted me my business license.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Well, bullets are regulated by the ATF since they are ammunition components and considered ammunition by the GCA 1968.

Are you going to have reloading supplies there too? Few gun shops have reloading goodies. It's a low profit item but brings customers in. All about the cash flow.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Well, bullets are regulated by the ATF since they are ammunition components and considered ammunition by the GCA 1968.

Are you going to have reloading supplies there too? Few gun shops have reloading goodies. It's a low profit item but brings customers in. All about the cash flow.
    Well Tubby,

I will be selling about 5,000-10,000 items to start with.
    As with any business one must find what sells and what does not . What dos not sell, we take off the menu. I have 8 distributors that I have agreements with and am looking for a coupe other smaller sources. I will not be doing business with Sport South or Acusport.

I will sell reloading equipment and some hunting supply's.

I will be selling hard to find ammunition, especially .380 and lately
    9mm. We will also offer several brands of ammunition. Winchester will be selling direct to me.

I just had a conversation with my local ATF agent today.
    On ATF form 7 (5310.12) it clearly states on the application item # 9,

"Describe Specific Activity Applicant is engaged in, or intends to Engage in, which requires a Federal firearms License. ( Sale of ammunition alone does not require a license)."

These are not my words they are printed on the application form.

I spoke to my local ATF agent today about gun smithing and he confirmed that I could do some smithing, trigger jobs, deburring occasionally without an FFL but said that I was doing thing right by obtaining my FFL. I have my final interview with him very soon.

My background checks and work with the government over the past severl years have been many. Where the FFL process usually takes up to 90 days. I expect my license mine will get done as soon as ATF in west Virginia clears my check. The processing center was in Atlanta so during their transition there is some delay.

I can't say enough about how cooperative ATF has been.

Look for my new store soon. gunsandsupply.com

regards,

Jim
    - Zen Saying

By God SIGP250, if you can get reloading supplies (primers, bullets) at a decent price anytime soon, I'll go ahead and sign up as your first customer, 'cause I sure can't get 'em anywhere else. lol.

Good luck with the Biz.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

nice set ups. i'll get pictures of my current bench and the new bench after i move the press over to it.

I would like a casting thread if there isn't one already (haven't searched yet). for lead if all I need is wheel weights then i have a free supply of those from the guy that rents out our commercial property since he does tires and small mechanic work. My dad seemed interested in casting. Guess I'll have to do a search and see if there are some threads about it. If not feel free to make a guide to casting for dummies thread :-D

Wheel weights are perfect for most casting needs.

Casting forum: castboolits.gunloads.com
    Resource: lasc.us and click on Cast Bullet Notes
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Ammo is getting hard to come by, but of course the only ammo brand I sell is my own.

Definitely get a hold of Brad at Missouri Bullet if you haven't already. They offer a respectable discount to dealers with no minimum. Being local to you should be very good for business.

Good luck with your endeavors. Enjoy the ride.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member

Got Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    By God SIGP250, if you can get reloading supplies (primers, bullets) at a decent price anytime soon, I'll go ahead and sign up as your first customer, 'cause I sure can't get 'em anywhere else. lol.

Good luck with the Biz.
    Sarge,

Thank you.

I'll be happy to sell you ammo at cost. This business has taken months to set up. I am almost there but do not have merchant services in place as of yet. Ebay and Paypal are worthless. They don't want to have anything to do with anything firearms related.

It seems there is another bank form, Fed or state tax form or other for me to fill out every day.

I have a limited stock of new target ammo. Later I will stock what I can get but for now, I have only Winchester, CCI and Blaser Brass made by CCI.

I have a limited supply of 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 AVP, .357 Magnum, and .22 LR. ball nose and HP. I can also get .25 but who wants it. I am waiting on a case of .380 that could arrive tomorrow.

It will be another 30 days or so until my website is up.

Midwest Shooting Sports and Supply, LLC

www.gunsandsupply.com (under construction). There is so much information to upload that I have had to hire two student computer geeks to help.

I look forward to serving your needs.
    - Zen Saying

More benches, please!

I've started planning mine, and I can't tell you how helpful it is to see what folks are actually doing. Those fancy NRA plans are beautiful, but I'm not a master woodworker and I don't have access to fabulous lumber and exotic woods. Your pics are so much more useful. Right now, I'm thinking of building along the lines of a variation on the NRMA plans.

Let's see more of your reloading benches!
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    More benches, please!

I've started planning mine, and I can't tell you how helpful it is to see what folks are actually doing. Those fancy NRA plans are beautiful, but I'm not a master woodworker and I don't have access to fabulous lumber and exotic woods. Your pics are so much more useful. Right now, I'm thinking of building along the lines of a variation on the NRMA plans.

Let's see more of your reloading benches!
    Tom,

I'm going to upload you plans for how to build a very nice all purpose work bench. Many use two or three layers of 3/4" plywood for the top. I recommend that you go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and search through their solid core doors. Find one with a defect and they will bargain with you. Get one that is at least 7'-0" x 2'-8".

I don't think there is any way I can upload the plans directly to you via this webpage but if you email me at: service@gunsandsupply.com I will do my best to get you some plans for a bench that I think you will be very happy with.

Please keep in mind that you will need some woodworking ability and proper tools to build this bench. If this is not for you then I would recommend you buy a metal work bench from Sears Craftsman or Granger.
    - Zen Saying

I am brand new to reloading, but it sounds like a great way to enhance my shooting hobby.

Yesterday I placed an order for a Lee Pro 1000 kit, configured for 9mm, from Cabelas and scoured the internet for bench plans.

I have zero carpentry skills, so I settled on what looks like a sturdy but simple design found here (Item #3, Workbench with Shelves):
    http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/diy-projctpad06.pdf.

I printed out the plans, drove to home depot, found a guy working near the wood cutting area and showed him the plan. He pulled all of the wood I would need and proceeded to cut it all to length according to the printout.

All that's left is for me to assemble it, which I will no doubt find some way to screw up .

Wish me luck!

Looks good. Put a few thousand bullets, some brass and a jug or two of powder on the bottom shelf and this will add some weight.

I'd put a small lip or rail around the top shelf (add another shelf-you may need it) to keep things from shaking off while you are working the press. You may also want to think about putting an extra square of plywood (12" X 12") under the top before you bolt down your press.

GOOD LUCK !

bosco

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links