Show us yer bench

This is a discussion on Show us yer bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by scott314 I am brand new to reloading, but it sounds like a great way to enhance my shooting hobby. Yesterday I placed ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us yer bench

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I am brand new to reloading, but it sounds like a great way to enhance my shooting hobby.

Yesterday I placed an order for a Lee Pro 1000 kit, configured for 9mm, from Cabelas and scoured the internet for bench plans.

I have zero carpentry skills, so I settled on what looks like a sturdy but simple design found here (Item #3, Workbench with Shelves):
    http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/diy-projctpad06.pdf.

I printed out the plans, drove to home depot, found a guy working near the wood cutting area and showed him the plan. He pulled all of the wood I would need and proceeded to cut it all to length according to the printout.

All that's left is for me to assemble it, which I will no doubt find some way to screw up .

Wish me luck!
    All woodworkers and home hobby woodworkers pride them selves on their work benches.

It is actually as simple a buying a coupe of plastic saw horses and a stable top, Like a solid core door if you are not too handy with carpenter tools. The top will weigh as much as 80 lb. so you will probably not even need to secure it to the horses to the top.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

I've posted pictures of mine on here before, but I finally got everything just how I want it:

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Senior Moderator
    Nice setup Landric.Looks good.

Here is another bench that I have set up. This is for all the other calibers,along with some bullet casting stuff.

You might notice the GunPowder sitting on the shelf. I'll leave out whatever powder I have in the hopper so I dont forget what powder is in it. Its a system I have used for over 25 years and it works. The only powder I ever allow to stay on the bench is the one I am using at the time.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I do the same thing. I keep a 3x5 index cards by the bench and mark them with type and weight the PM is set to so I have a place to start, verify, then continue where I left off.

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I've posted pictures of mine on here before, but I finally got everything just how I want it:

A very nice bench. I prefer a thicker top surface but 3/4" Plywood is sufficient.

You might thing about adding a clear satin polyurethane finish coat to the top. First coat spar gloss, sand, sanding sealer and then a final satin polyurethane coat.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nice setup Landric.Looks good.

Here is another bench that I have set up. This is for all the other calibers,along with some bullet casting stuff.

You might notice the GunPowder sitting on the shelf. I'll leave out whatever powder I have in the hopper so I dont forget what powder is in it. Its a system I have used for over 25 years and it works. The only powder I ever allow to stay on the bench is the one I am using at the time.

I do the same thing as far as only one powder on the bench.

But I never leave powder in the powder measure. I always dump it back into the container and completely clean out the powder measure, and put everything away in its proper place as soon as I'm finished loading a group of cartriges.(I'm a bit anal retentive I know, but I like things to be in their place and the gun room is the only room in the house where I have complete and total dominion. It's also the only room that doens't have stuff strewn about and I can find everything right where I put it. but I digress.)

It takes a few extra minutes at setup the next time, but that doesn't bother me. Plus, I only have one powder measure and never know if I'll be loading pistol or rifle rounds next time. It just depends on what mood I'm in when I sit down to reload.

early last week I was loading .357, then Friday and last night I was loading .223.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Yes, I drink the Kool-aid.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I do the same thing as far as only one powder on the bench.

But I never leave powder in the powder measure. I always dump it back into the container and completely clean out the powder measure, and put everything away in its proper place as soon as I'm finished loading a group of cartriges.(I'm a bit anal retentive I know, but I like things to be in their place and the gun room is the only room in the house where I have complete and total dominion. It's also the only room that doens't have stuff strewn about and I can find everything right where I put it. but I digress.)

It takes a few extra minutes at setup the next time, but that doesn't bother me. Plus, I only have one powder measure and never know if I'll be loading pistol or rifle rounds next time. It just depends on what mood I'm in when I sit down to reload.

early last week I was loading .357, then Friday and last night I was loading .223.
    Nice bench. Yours looks kind of like mine, not totally dedicated to just reloading. I see some other usefull tools as well, nothing beats a Vise-grip.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Nice bench. Yours looks kind of like mine, not totally dedicated to just reloading. I see some other usefull tools as well, nothing beats a Vise-grip.
    That's Hotguns bench, not mine. But thanks anyway. Maybe you can talk Hotguns into giving it to me though. . . .
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    That's Hotguns bench, not mine. But thanks anyway. Maybe you can talk Hotguns into giving it to me though. . . .
    Actually, I don't do any reloading. It voids warrienties for what they are worth. I do some Smithing. This involves much smaller tools, fine screw drivers, long fine screw drivers, Engraving tools and fine grinder buffing and equipment. Dremel and other. Here is some of the stuff I use to do a job that does not require me to be at my bench. I do trigger jobs from my office, no need to get out the monkey wrench at the basement workbench.

SIG
    Attached Images
    - Zen Saying

2 thumbs up, they all look good...

VIP Member
    Sarge,

I don't know if you saw my bench. It can be built in a weekend,

It usually takes two weekends to do it right if you are handy and have the tools necessary to build it.

As I have mentioned to you and others, I will supply you with plans and a bill of materials for what you will need.

To build a really nice bench you will need some pretty nice carpenter tools and know how to use them.

PM me with your email and I will send you the plans if I can still find them.

Sig.
    - Zen Saying

They are all good looking benches

Finished my dedicated bench.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links