Standard vs. Magnum Small Pistol Primers: My Experience

This is a discussion on Standard vs. Magnum Small Pistol Primers: My Experience within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 Ok, but did you measure what the pressure difference is? Velocity and pressure are related but switching to a magnum primer ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard vs. Magnum Small Pistol Primers: My Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Ok, but did you measure what the pressure difference is? Velocity and pressure are related but switching to a magnum primer can lower velocity while spiking pressure.
    I don't have any way to measure pressure. All I can do is look for signs of excessive pressure (of which there were not any).

I'm not telling anyone to go out and do what I did. I am comfortable using magnum primers rather than standard primers in my handloads (which are not maximum loads). YMMV.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

2. Remove Ads

I second that.... I have no fancy test equipment... all Im saying is they worked just as well as standards.... If you have a way to measure pressure, Please let us know... I would be more then happy to send you some to test... WE need answers and are working to find out the truth.... but from my testing they were safe, for "MY LOAD AND GUN" please use my test at your own risk... tadda, A$$ covered....lol

The following test was done on rifle cartridges, but it shows some interesting results as far as Magnum vs regular.

Looks like temperature played a more impressive role in chamber pressure than primer type which was almost insignificant.

See pages 5 and 6 for results.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/...%20Factors.pdf

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by thylordjj View Post
    If you have a way to measure pressure, Please let us know... I would be more then happy to send you some to test... WE need answers and are working to find out the truth
    I have been outsourcing my pressure testing to the powder manufacturers I use but am in the process of getting pressure testing equipment and will be able to test internally within a month or two.

If you'd like to have some loads pressure tested here's the procedure for the best results

Use new (virgin) brass.
    Send 10 primed cases of each type to establish a baseline.
    Send 10 rounds each load to test for pressure.
    For best results, please hand weigh exact charges.

Completely label your loads with lot numbers for components used and indicate type, OAL, etc.

Eventually we will be able to pressure test for everything we load but will start with pistol cartridges first, then move to rifle. We plan on offering this service in the future and squeeze in the testing during the down times.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I don't think I'd have to worry much over the pressure increase in my .38 and .357 target loads, since they are not much above the starting charge, but I would be concerned over using them in my +p 38 spl loads, since they are already high pressure rounds. If I used them, I believe it would be for target loads with starting powder charge only, but that's just me. I tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to this stuff myself.

I almost picked up some small pistol magnum primers today, but when I got to the shop, I found 400 regular sm. pistol primers on the back of the shelf that the guy didn't even know he had. So I picked those up instead for $15.

He said he'd have a bunch more standard primers next week. This fella is in the biz of selling reloading stuff and told me that pistol primers are getting easier to get as of now. He said he just got some in two weeks ago, sold them all, and placed an order for more on Thur, and they will be in at the first of next week.

He said there is still well over a month wait on sm. and lg. rifle primers though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

They've been coming in batches. I have 800 LR primers that I probably won't use until late summer for the rifle loads (other than .223 Rem). I sell a lot of pistol ammo and .223 so that's where I concentrate my efforts. I will be taking HazMat training to be a shipper and will start selling powder and primers on my site too as soon as Fed Ex sends me the Haz Mat paperwork and processes it. Should be end of month.

I've had to buy at retail to make sure I have some on hand. It happens but I got dried up pretty quick. Stashed 5K each of SR, SP, and LP to make sure I had enough on hand in case I get a quick bigger order from LE.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I have been outsourcing my pressure testing to the powder manufacturers I use but am in the process of getting pressure testing equipment and will be able to test internally within a month or two.

If you'd like to have some loads pressure tested here's the procedure for the best results

Use new (virgin) brass.
    Send 10 primed cases of each type to establish a baseline.
    Send 10 rounds each load to test for pressure.
    For best results, please hand weigh exact charges.

Completely label your loads with lot numbers for components used and indicate type, OAL, etc.

Eventually we will be able to pressure test for everything we load but will start with pistol cartridges first, then move to rifle. We plan on offering this service in the future and squeeze in the testing during the down times.
    well Im SOL on this one... All my brass is mixed headstamp junk... any one got what he needs to test this for us ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links