Anyone have a Sierra Manual handy??

This is a discussion on Anyone have a Sierra Manual handy?? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; For the past several weeks, during weekdays and working hours, I have been busier than a cat covering up a pile of crap. So, I ...

Thread: Anyone have a Sierra Manual handy??

For the past several weeks, during weekdays and working hours, I have been busier than a cat covering up a pile of crap.

So, I have been unable to call the bulletsmiths at Sierra. I called and got the info a while back for 30-06 but forgot to ask about .308 Win. when I had them on the phone.

I need a min. o.a.l. for a .308 Win, with the 165gr Sierra BTHP Gameking. I will be loading it over a moderate charge of RL-15.

If someone who has that manual would provide me with the o.a.l. information so that I can do some loading over the weekend, I would greatly appreciate it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

OAL 2.750". This is the 50th Anniversary Edition and it does not show a loading for RL-15. RE-7 and RE-12 both have load data though.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

What I have from Hornady includes load data for their 165gr HPBT #30501 with a C.O.L: 2.800" and RL-15 data is as follows:
    2100fps=35.2gr
    2200fps=37gr
    2300fps=38.8gr
    2400fps=40.7gr
    2500fps=42.5gr
    Hope this helps.
    I've used the 165gr Sierra Gameking, and the 168gr Matchking bullets, but as stated above, I have no data in my reloading manuals for RL-15 and the OALs listed for my loads with IMR powders are the 2.750"
    BTW...the max OAL is listed at 2.810"

Ok, thanks guys. I have loaded other 165gr bullets in this rifle before, and have data for that weight of bullet with RL-15, so I'll use my normal reduced loads and work up.

This bullet has a pretty blunt shape, the ogive is pretty far up and the hp nose is much more blunt and shorter than that of the 168 gr. matchking, with which I am familiar. That's why I wanted the info, to make sure I wasn't seating the bullet farther in the case than it should be.

I have noticed that if I set it out to the same overall length as the matchking when I loaded these in the 30-06, then the bullet came into contact (a lot) with the lands and I had to run it back in a bit. That's when I called Sierra to get the min. oal for 30-06 and forgto to ask about .308. I expect the same with the .308, so I just want to make sure I dont' run it in too much to be extra safe.

I'll stick with 2.750 or longer and be good I'm certain. Of course watching for signs of pressure as I increase the powder charge.

Thanks for the help.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sponsored Links