Just getting started

This is a discussion on Just getting started within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am just getting started with reloading and am having problems finding load data. I am using .40 S&W 165 gr Rainier LeadSafe bullets, Federal ...

Thread: Just getting started

Just getting started

I am just getting started with reloading and am having problems finding load data. I am using .40 S&W 165 gr Rainier LeadSafe bullets, Federal Small Pistol Primers, and Allient Power Pistol Powder. I have seen some information about Federal primers being dangerous; however they are all I could find. Any load suggestions or tips about using the Federal primers would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Ads

I see no problem with federal primers. With the Lee auto prime I only dump in one or two rows at a time(10-20), just because of all the talk that they may set each other off. ?? When using them in tubes and on my press I fill the tube and go about my business.

For some loads you may not find in handbooks check out:

The Handgun Section @ www.reloadersnest.com
    Reloading The .38 Special Page (just change the caliber to yours)
    Steve's Reloading Data Pages

And of course the powder company's own load data:
    Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Plated bullets are basically lead bullets and most times are loaded with the same recipes.

Start low ( 10% under unless the loads are at minimums already).

BTW. One of your best tools is a decent set of calipers. OAL is very important when seating bullets to the correct depth. Too deep and the pressure can go up to levels that are unsafe.

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; May 31st, 2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info

From the horse's mouth.

"We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp. "
    bosco

Thanks Bosco. I saw on the load data Alliant website, however they recommend using the CCI 500 primers. Is it safe to assume that a SP primer is a SP primer or do different manufacturers vary to the point that you would have to adjust your powder load?

If it's a small pistol primer the difference between manufacturers is so minor (if at all) that I use whatever I can get and use the same load data. Maybe someone who spent the time with a chrono could be more specific.

Stay with the same type (i.e. small pistol, large pistol, small pistol magnum etc.) and you should have no problems.

Also of note: Read up on using lead bullets and Glock barrels if you are reloading for any Glock pistols,

bosco

Thanks again.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Lee advises against the use of Federal primers in their hand held primer so I use a Lee Ram Prime on a seperate press when forced to use Federal primers. I believe that they are a bit thinner and more apt to cook off but they still sell tons and nowadays you take what you can get. The Ram Prime cost me $9 and it just provides a sense of security as I have no desire to cook off a tray of primers.

I've loaded thousands of rounds with Federal primers in my (gasp) progressive reloader, all stacked up 100 high in the tube :) There is no danger, trust me. It's just a CYA strategy.

The best thing to do is get a reloading manual. They make these little books that are per caliber and have a lot of the bullet and powder manufacturers reloading data in them. They are called "The Complete Reloading Manual for the ____ " cartridge. Also, get a case gauge and use it. It will eliminate all of your issues related to size.

Good luck!

Links