Complete entry set up - Page 2

Complete entry set up

This is a discussion on Complete entry set up within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by KralBlbec Here are the pieces I am looking at. Lee Hand Press Kit Perfectly fine. I started on one. Still have it. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete entry set up

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post

Here are the pieces I am looking at.

Lee Hand Press Kit Perfectly fine. I started on one. Still have it. It's nickname is the Lee Thighmaster.
    Lee Perfect Powder MeasureThat will work fine
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case TumblerAny tumbler will work
    Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming ToolSome prefer the hand primer. Lee offers a ram prime as part of the Hand Press Kit that uses the press to seat the primer. It's a toss up. Hand primer would probably be quicker.

For dies I dont want to hassle with lube, so I want carbide even if they are a bit more expensive up front. I'm not sure what the difference is here and if I need both or just one.
    Lee Carbide Sizer Die 9mm LugerGet the 3 die set.
    Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die 9mm LugerNot needed but some people like it. Try it without first, then buy later if needed/wanted.

Then there are a bunch of small tools that I figure I'll probably want eventually even if not immediately required
    Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 9mm LugerWASTE OF MONEY
    Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping DieWASTE OF MONEY
    Lee Chamfer ToolWASTE OF MONEY
    Lee Primer Pocket CleanerWASTE OF MONEY
    Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock StudWASTE OF MONEY

This also looks like it would be helpful eventually just to speed things up
    Lee Zip TrimWASTE OF MONEY

Then of course, I need some manual
    Lee "Modern Reloading Second Edition" Reloading This and also the ABC's of Reloading
    Very basics:

press
    die set
    powder measure (NOT the dippers)
    scale
    manual or two
    calipers

If you can hold off for a few weeks on the tumbler, I will be getting rid of my RCBS tumbler and getting a Dillon tumbler. Send me your address and I will ship the tumbler to you when I get my Dillon one. If you want it, it's yours.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

jfl
    IMO a powder scale is a must !
    It is also handy to weight bullets, ammo, etc.
    I have a Lee powder measure, I still weight every ten loads.
    I started reloading 30 ++ years ago, did it by myself, reading all the books I could put my hands on. There was no internet, nobody to ask ...
    It is a lot easier than it seems, however you cannot be distracted; depending on the powder you use, a double charge will fit easily in the brass and is really dangerous.
    A couple of trays are nice, my first ones were home-made, a thick piece of wood, drilled, glued on a thinner piece ! The plastic ones are now so cheap it is not worth the work

When I have put the powder in all the cases in the tray, I take a flashlight and check the powder level are the same; takes 10 seconds per 50 rds, it is cheap insurance.

Good luck and enjoy !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

"When I have put the powder in all the cases in the tray, I take a flashlight and check the powder level are the same; takes 10 seconds per 50 rds, it is cheap insurance."

+1

The flashlight double check has worked for me for many years and have never had a squibb or double charge.

bosco

This thread is awesome. My Wife asked me last week if I would be interested in starting to reload, I just might have to consider it.

Other than the list that has been generated for a 9x19, what would be the additional needs for adding other calibers, and is there a different list from handgun to rifle (other than the caliber difference)?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Going from pistol caliber to pistol caliber usually just requires another set of dies and the proper shell plate holder.

RIFLE RELOADING BASIC NEEDS:

1. Going up to rifle calibers you need the new dies.

2. Lubricating your brass should be done before resizing. Easy

3. Necked down cartridges have a tendency to stretch so trimming to size is often another step. Inexpensive trimmers can be found anywhere Easy

bosco

That is, as you say, easy enough. Since I don't have an official hobby (work-a-holic) right now I think I just might start one.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    If you can hold off for a few weeks on the tumbler, I will be getting rid of my RCBS tumbler and getting a Dillon tumbler. Send me your address and I will ship the tumbler to you when I get my Dillon one. If you want it, it's yours.
    That's very generous.

MidwayUSA - Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

Might look at this. Got one the other day. Have to wait till august to really start loading. My girlfriend is getting me the dies I need for my birthday.

For anyone who doesn't have room for a designated reloading bench this is a really great little product. You can take it down and store it anywhere. Bring it to the range. You can set it anywhere but I would not do any powder measuring or charging on carpets or where you can be distracted.

Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand About $60 from Midway.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    That would be awesome. When you get your new one let me know and I'll PM the address and Paypal you for the shipping. You are my hero

My dad has a pair of calipers that I will be borrowing until I can get a new pair of my own, so its one of those things that is kind of on delay for a few weeks. I avoid credit cards as much as I can so I have to space purchases out until I can pay up front.

As for the primer, I didn't notice that the hand press kit had a primer. I might try that at first. Trying to be as budget conscious as possible, just had to pay tuition :D Already you guys have trimmed a lot of the fat off of what I had originally been looking at investing in.

For anyone who doesn't have room for a designated reloading bench this is a really great little product. You can take it down and store it anywhere. Bring it to the range. You can set it anywhere but I would not do any powder measuring or charging on carpets or where you can be distracted.

Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand
    That would be perfect.

Dang, I really am getting excited to start but cant even order yet. The dies are still OOS

Yall rock

The Lee Breech Lock 50th Anniversary Kit is pretty good, thats what I use currently (new to reloading as well).

All you need is a set of calipers and dies, the kit comes with everything else you need.

Some guys have mounted them to sturdy trolley on wheels so you can reload while watching TV, and store it away easy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

The reloading stand is for a regular press (not the hand press) and I have used it for all pistol calibers up to and including .44 magnum. I am sure it would work just as well with most rifle reloading.
    bosco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links