Need input on Hornady LNL setup...

This is a discussion on Need input on Hornady LNL setup... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Fellow DCers, I am in the process of purchasing (or trying to purchase) my reloading equipment. I wanted your feedback on the setup of a ...

Thread: Need input on Hornady LNL setup...

Need input on Hornady LNL setup...

Fellow DCers,

I am in the process of purchasing (or trying to purchase) my reloading equipment. I wanted your feedback on the setup of a Hornady Lock N Load AP to load .45 ACP and maybe some .38 special and .357 magnum.

This is the list that I have assembled, any suggestions or observations are very welcome since I am counting on the expertise of this forum to make the right choices.

1- Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press (EZ ject) $ 399.99 at Cabela’s
    2- Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press Shellplate #45 (For EZ Ject 45 ACP, 45 Winchester Magnum) $ 28
    3- Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushings Package of 10 $ 36
    4- Hornady powder cop $33.32
    5- Hornady Series II Three Die Set 45ACP $ 37
    6- Taper Crimp Die Hornady Taper Crimp Die 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Winchester Magnum (Taper crimp for .38?) $ 20
    7- Powder Through Expander (PTX) (which one?)
    8- Frankford Arsenal Quick N Easy Case Tumbler Kit $ 64
    9- Calipers $ 20
    10- Scale $ 15?
    11- Bullet Puller? $ 13
    12- Powder (which?)

As you can see from the list above I want to put a Powder cop in one station which means I should bell and powder charge in the same station using a PTX die.
    I would like to know if I am good to go with the above mentioned items or you guys have suggestions about improving this setup. I would like to load a medium amount of ammo per week (around 500 -750) and will not have a lot of time to do it, that is why I have chosen to go progressive (Yeah, and the 1000 bullets also contributed to the decision).
    I would also like to load some .38 and .357 Magnum but since I just have two snubbies, I don’t think I will be shooting more than 200 rounds a month. Is it worth it to buy the shell plates and dies for this amount of .38 and .357? I am inclining towards Yes since .38 has become equally expensive to .45 and .357 is even more expensive… I have been saving my brass for several months and probably have around 2,000 cases of .45, 200 cases of .38 and 200 cases of .357.
    I have read the ABCs of Reloading and I think my next step is a reloading manual for these calibers. I have no experience whatsoever reloading but I know it will be part of my life from now on, so I want to start with the right foot.

Sorry for the rant and I look forward to receiving your input….
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm a bit confused about some of your items. If you bought a 3 die set, why would you need a taper crimp die? The seating die will taper crimp the cartridge. You are adding one more step than you need.
    Also, you will not need a taper crimp die for the .38 or any other revolver cartridge as they are roll crimped.(Definitely read that manual). Their dies will also take care of that.
    I would advise you to buy carbide dies. They will save a bunch of work and mess. As far as powder, there are so many choices, but considering the volume you plan to load, I would use something which would go a long way. The manual will show you the grains per load. Just remember that some powders are going to give better accuracy than others depending on your gun.
    One key to good loads is uniformity. You will need a case trimmer to insure each case is the same length, esp. for auto cartridges. Lee makes an excellent case trimmer/gauge combo that is accurate and inexpensive.
    Probably the best thing you can do is read the manual FIRST. This will give you an idea of the overall process. One last thing, I would begin on a single stage press, not a progressive, until you get the hang of it. Also, don't be afraid to ask advise from an experienced reloader in your area who can show you "hands on" in person how it's done.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I am not familiar with the Hornady system (seems like a good one).

The following link will bring you to a page with videos showing how to set up the dies in the press you are planning to buy.

https://www.hornady.com/inst_video_mr.php#

As far as powder goes, Bullseye has been around for a long long time and there is information on it for all pistol calibers.

Reload all the calibers you have. A set of dies is an investment that will outlive you and save you money over the long run even at only 200 rounds a month.

Since you already have the brass some bullets, powder and primers are all you need.

I use AA#5 a lot along with Bullseye and Unique ((.38-.357-9mm.-.44Mag.-.45ACP and .45GAP)) as well as Trail Boss for Cowboy Action loads in .38Spl and .357Mag.

Once you have your reloading manual you can choose a powder that will cover most of your needs.

Order your primers NOW--- You will need Large pistol primers for the .45ACP unless you are shooting .45GAP (Glock Auto Pistol) which uses Small Pistol Primers.

Small pistol primers for the .38Spl. Check your manual for the .357Magnum loads as some recommend Small Pistol Magnum primers for some loads.

Bosco

Check out Bluepress.com they have full set ups for all cal.'s and the impressive price comes with full head changes for different cal.'s. The press rate for the 1050 super is 1000-1200rnds per hour. The price is 1500.00, life time warranty.

Great info!
    Automatic, I will start very slow and take step by step after reading the manual a couple of times. Thanks for the advice.
    I am afraid that if I buy a single stage press, I will have to get a progressive down the line. I am having a baby and it will be IMPOSSIBLE then to justify taking out $ 400 from our budget to dedicate to a press.... so I'm trying to optimize my purchase and get a setup that will last me a lifetime...
    Thanks for your input guys!
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

OK glock45,

Just add in a cheap Lee Single Stage press right now!.... You will always find a use for it down the line... even while using the Progressive press.

Lot of uses for a single stage press.

Been reloading since 1971

NRA Life since 1981

Paul

Links