Handloads

This is a discussion on Handloads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Does anyone sell handloads?...

Thread: Handloads

Handloads

Does anyone sell handloads?
    "We have a decision to make; Either get busy living or get busy dying."

2. Remove Ads

It is sold as Remanufactured Ammunition. You can find alot of it online. Many gun ranges sell it.

Michael

Would it be legal for me to sell some extra ammunition I have? They are reloads.

Did you reload them, or did you purchase them as reloads?

If you reloaded them you need to have a (class 6) ffl, or some other number, not exactly sure. If you purchased them and are going to resell them, it should be no different than reselling any other ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Do you want to be responsible if something happens to the person that bought them from you? Such as a double charge or bad case. I would not buy anything I did not know how careful they were.

Good advice folks, thank you. I loaded them myself, so I will lkeep them.

In the early 80's I was selling handloads, 38 Special with a homecast 160 TC bullet, to a local pawnshop. I was only using Winchester brass.

This guy came back into the pawnshop with a blown up S&W model 15 and claimed they were from my handloads.

The reloads in the gun all had FC headstamps ( not my reloads) The pawnshop replaced the S&W model 15 from some pawned guns, even through he wanted a new one . It cost me $130.00. This was the last reloads I sold. I don't even reload for friends .

Quote Originally Posted by heater View Post
    Does anyone sell handloads?
    Handloads....reloads.......there IS a difference for me. Reloads are built to spec and should work in anyone's firearm. Re-manufactured commercial ammo included. Handloads is what I do for my bolt action rifles, and I neck size only. My handloaded cartridge cases work well in my particular rifle only for chamber dimensions, and the overall cartridge is made with the most accurate bullet seating depth for my firearm and the jump to the rifling. These may or may not work in other peoples firearms of the same caliber/cartridge. There are a lot of things involved here as to why I would never sell my custom made rifle cartridges to anyone. Key word is 'custom'. On the other hand, if you have a press and turn out spec pistol ammo, you might be inclined to put it on the market, but the thing is..........would you be legally responsible for anyone doing something stupid with your ammunition? The answer is more than likely YES. Personally, I wouldn't do it if I were you. Too much liability for you. Now...if you have commercially made, re-manufactured ammo you would like to sell, then you might. Simply for the facts that the manufacturer's name is on the box, all warning labels are intact on the original box, and you can verify it's authenticity and date of manufacture, and purchase. That's the only way I'd ever sell "re-loaded" ammunition, and to be honest, if it was that cheap in the first place, I'd probably shoot it myself.....or if I had something in a caliber I no longer owned....I'd just give it away. Giving it away in essence puts the end user at their own risk. They would have no viable claim against you. I'm no lawyer....but sometimes I wish my yearly salary reflected the same. By the way....my answer to your question is NO......I'd never sell handloads, or re-loads for that matter. I'll check them and use them, or pull them apart first. I may very well sell the brass.

Being properly licensed and registered to sell ammunition will run about $4,000 per year in licensing, fees, and insurance. Insurance is about $2100 per year and goes up from there.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links