Reloading 9mm Federal AE Brass (Problems)

This is a discussion on Reloading 9mm Federal AE Brass (Problems) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well I started loading up some of my sized, belled and primed Federal American Eagle brass last night and well I have issues. My Speer ...

Thread: Reloading 9mm Federal AE Brass (Problems)

Reloading 9mm Federal AE Brass (Problems)

Well I started loading up some of my sized, belled and primed Federal American Eagle brass last night and well I have issues.

My Speer brass loads up fine on my RCBS dies, have done 1000 rounds with no problems.

The Federal brass feels really tight \ firm going into the Seating \ Crimping die and the case is coming out either wrinkled, crushed or with very defined crimp line.

Ive checked size of case with calipers against my Speer brass and it all seems OK.

Has anyone had this issue ? do I need to change my crimp setting for this batch of brass ?

seems weird as I have had FC, Speer and Win brass mixed in my supply and havent had this issue before.

Im thinking of depriming the whole lot and turfing it. Shame as I have about 700 rounds of American eagle to shoot and dont want to waste the brass.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

2. Remove Ads

Do your dies seat and crimp with same die or seperately,It sounds like you are overcrimping and crushing the case,back out the crimp die and then run a case with seated bullet up,then turn the die down until it stops,back case out and turn die down 1/2 turn more then crimp the case and check for crimp and feed in your barrel,may need a little more crimp to feed smoothly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah, if case length is the same, it shouldn't be a problem, but perhaps the die is out of wack somehow. I'd do what Duke said and back it out an reset it.

Also, you might use a little less flare to make it go in the die easier (if feasible?) and check for trash in the die. Other than that, I don't know.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Thanks guys, yes a reset might be needed for the AE cases, my Speer ones are loading up great by the hundreds, did about 80 today.

Its an RCBS seat\crimp die does it in one step.

Just a thought...

Try measuring the case wall thickness at the point where your bullets seat.

Could be (I don't have any on hand to test) that the Federal AE walls are thicker. Multiply that by 2 and you might be getting too much crimp compared to other brass which might cause the cases to deform ?????

Just a thought...

Try measuring the case wall thickness at the point where your bullets seat.

Could be (I don't have any on hand to test) that the Federal AE walls are thicker. Multiply that by 2 and you might be getting too much crimp compared to other brass which might cause the cases to deform ?????
    Actually that could very well be the problem, I did some Lapua Megashock JHP a few weeks ago using FC AE brass but these had the stepped in base on the projectile.

The FMJs im trying to use dont have this so as you say it might be very very tight.

I might keep these and build up a few hundred before I mess with my dies.

Currently ive got 1500 rounds of Speer Brass in waiting (loaded ready to shoot). and only 600 FC AE.

I've reloaded my 9mm brass with no crimping, you might make sure that your round is requiring a crimp. If you are crimping the round you could be over pressurizing the brass. Or the chamber of your gun is greater in diameter so the resizing dye is making your brass to small when you re size it. Get with a gun smith to determine a dye that works for your reloading needs. As for a crimping I strongly believe you are doing something that can be Very DANGEROUS. Consult to your book some have * to designate that a crimp is used. Be very careful and hope I've helped you on the problem.

Thank everyone for the feedback. I pulled back on the amount of crimp being applied and the Fed AE catridges went through nice and smooth. Also tried my speer ones on the same setting and they seem to like the setting as well.

Possible I was slightly overcrimping my last batch, but havent had any pressure or accuracy issues (thank godness as ive loaded 1000 or so).

Im loading at 4.65gr currently (max stated as 5.0gr) so should be within safety limits even with slightly overcrimped shells.

Links