45-70 Rifle Load Help?

45-70 Rifle Load Help?

This is a discussion on 45-70 Rifle Load Help? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone have a recipe for a 525 grain lead bullet for 45-70. I need to kill a T-Rex... Seriously, I can't find a load online ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Rifle Load Help?

45-70 Rifle Load Help?

Anyone have a recipe for a 525 grain lead bullet for 45-70. I need to kill a T-Rex...

Seriously, I can't find a load online for this bullet. Does anyone have a resource?

458 caliber, 525 grains, hardcast lead, lubed, with a gas check.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Anyone have a recipe for a 525 grain lead bullet for 45-70. I need to kill a T-Rex...

Seriously, I can't find a load online for this bullet. Does anyone have a resource?

458 caliber, 525 grains, hardcast lead, lubed, with a gas check.
    Check here.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

458_1_500

Try these.... I would only use these in MODERN rifles with actions that handle heavy loads, NOT antique or Trapdoor rifles.

bosco

For what type of rifle? If for modern lever gun, I believe you may have trouble getting that large a bullet to feed or even allow cycling of the action. If it's a Ruger #1, then it can pretty much handle anything that can be loaded in 45-70. If it's a Sharps style, even if modern reproduction, it will handle more than a trapdoor but less than a completely modern design like the Ruger.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

New Marlin 1895G. the bullet I'm looking at was designed for the levergun.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    458_1_500

Try these.... I would only use these in MODERN rifles with actions that handle heavy loads, NOT antique or Trapdoor rifles.

bosco
    It does not tell me the velocity or a pressure level?

Then I'd try downloading the Accurate Arms Load Data. I don't know where you're going to find specific data for that heavy of a bullet in a lever gun but you could take the Trapdoor data and work up or use the data for the heaviest modern load and start a few grains lower and work up watching your pressure signs. If all else fails, I'd contact whoever makes the bullet or mold and ask them where to get some data.

WARNING -- If you have a bullet weighing 525 grains that is supposedly designed for a lever gun, you're going to need to be very cautious if you can't find data for that specific bullet. The only way a 525 grain bullet could work in a lever action would be for it to have a much higher percentage of the bullet inside the case. This would greatly reduce the combustion chamber inside the case and greatly increase pressures.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bull...hp?catagory=23

I get you Hoss. Less room in the case means pressure builds up fast. I had not considered asking the bullet manufacturer, that's just too logical... I'll shoot them an email.

My Lee 2nd ed has a 530 gr lead bullet using Acc xmp5744 for the lever 95.
    start=26.5gr 1196fps
    max=29.5gr 1360fps 27500psi
    min oal=2.950
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Beartooth probably has the data. They have some excellent testing and data on their website for heavy lead bullets in .444 Marlin, I expect they have the same for .45-70 somewhere, especially if they offer the bullet.

I ordered some 330 grain lead bullets to try out in my .444 from them with their load data. They are on the way now, I can't wait to get them in my hot little hands. I expect they will arrive today or tomorrow. I know 330 grain is nothing for .45-70, but its pretty heavy for the .444.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

You could always shoot what was intended to be shot in it. Good old black powder. It's easy fill'er to the top seat a bullet and shoot it. As long as there is no gap between the powder and base of the bullet there's nothing to worry about. Also a blast to shoot.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Have you tried these guys: .45-70 Government - AmmoGuide Interactive

They have thousands of loads, for every imaginable cartridge, unless it's something exotic, like a 525 gr projectile
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Have you tried these guys: .45-70 Government - AmmoGuide Interactive

They have thousands of loads, for every imaginable cartridge, unless it's something exotic, like a 525 gr projectile
    The free membership there does not give you the load data. You have to pay the membership fee to get that...

Beartooth does in fact have loads. I can't believe I didn't dig around their site before posting a question.

Loading Data BTB-.45-525gWLNGC "Pile-Driver" in .45-70 Govt.

All loads using Starline .45-70 Govt. brass, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, Cartridge Overall Length 2.557" .

Powder Charge Wt. Gr. Velocity 22" Bbl. Velocity 20" Bbl.
    AA 2495 45.0 1520 1486
    IMR 4198 42.7 1612 1562
    IMR 3031 52.8 1683 1621
    H-4895 52.5 1820 1752
    RL-7 44.3 1705 1648
    IMR 4227 28.0 1443 1392
    2400 24.0 1346 1283
    H-322 41.0 1610 1549
    You have to kinda' respace it, but here it is.

I'd think 10% less to start would still be a whompin' load...

Beartooth Bullets > Open Sight > .45-70 Pile Driver!

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    The free membership there does not give you the load data. You have to pay the membership fee to get that...

Beartooth does in fact have loads. I can't believe I didn't dig around their site before posting a question.

You have to kinda' respace it, but here it is.

I'd think 10% less to start would still be a whompin' load...

Beartooth Bullets > Open Sight > .45-70 Pile Driver!
    Hence the name "Pile-Driver"
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I'm liking the 4895 recipe. 1752 fps from a 20 incher leads me to believe my 18 incher would still be above 1600fps, maybe at 1650...

Geeze, 525 grain BMB at 1650... That's a T-Rex killer for sure.

I have most of a can of 4198 in the basement. Maybe that's first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links