Cleanest powder

Cleanest powder

This is a discussion on Cleanest powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; What are you using for your 380, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP ammo that not only gets performance, but is CLEAN. Not necessarily the ...

Thread: Cleanest powder

Cleanest powder

What are you using for your 380, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP ammo that not only gets performance, but is CLEAN.

Not necessarily the same powder to be used in all callibers.
    Bullseye seems to have worked for me for years, but there are some newer powders out now I've never used.

AA2 or clays is about the cleanest stuff I have ever used....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    AA2 or clays is about the cleanest stuff I have ever used....
    I've never used either of these powders, but most ball powders are clean burning. W231 and HS-6 are very clean burning.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have always used unique ,more for the fact that it works in all my pistol calibers,but during the last go around I had to buy Amer Select,since powders were out of stock and after doing research found it would load all my pistol calibers.I haven't had to use any of the new stuff yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

231 is a great all-around powder too, forgot to mention that one. I don't know anything about hs-6
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've had my best luck with the AA lineup (#2,#5,#7,#9). If you're running close to top end loads, TiteGroup works well but gets dirty if you start to lighten up the loads.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

AA-#5 for .40S&W & .45ACP very clean.

Blue Dot for heavy .45 ACP and .357 mag loads. If you use upper range loadings very clean and hard to beat for max velocity in either with 4-6 inch barrels.

Power Pistol for .38+P, 9MM, .40S&W & .45ACP. Right now IMHO its the best all round for most bullet weights in these calibers.

Unique is a great all-around pistol powder, but it's another one that is dirty, especially in light loads.

It's not much of an issue in revolvers but can be in semi-autos.

I probably burn more Unique than any of the 14 other powders I have on my shelf.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Unique is a great all-around pistol powder, but it's another one that is dirty, especially in light loads.

It's not much of an issue in revolvers but can be in semi-autos.

I probably burn more Unique than any of the 14 other powders I have on my shelf.
    That is what I had found with Unique. I really don't care much in revolvers, its great there. But in the semi's I was hoping to find a cleaner powder than Bullseye or WW231, which I am currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    That is what I had found with Unique. I really don't care much in revolvers, its great there. But in the semi's I was hoping to find a cleaner powder than Bullseye or WW231, which I am currently using.
    I use Titegroup for most, however your asking about cleanliness and for clean burn for all the calibers you mention I like Hodgden Universal Clays. For 380 I like AA#5. It measure well in small quantities.

Unique or Bullseye for me. I used to exclusively use Unique, but couldn't get any, so now I use exclusively Bullseye, since I bought an 8 pounder of it. It's cleaner than Unique and works in all my calibers.

That's all I know.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Unique for me, especially in moderate to maximum loadings. It burns cleanly in such applications and I've not found any other powder that can really yield higher velocities with maximum charge weights in each of the various traditional automatic pistol cartridges from .25 ACP to .45 ACP.

Clean is subjective, is most dependent on the bullet lubricant when using cast bullets rather than the propellant powder, and besides, I clean my guns after each use anyway.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Clays and Clays International are very clean burning powders, maybe the cleanest around.

That said, my personal choice is Unique, except for Max loads in high pressure magnums. I tend to choose Blue Dot or 2400 for those.

Like the posters above, I dont worry about a bit of crud in my guns, I clean them after each use anyway.

Sponsored Links