Any source for pistol primers?

This is a discussion on Any source for pistol primers? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Bullets, powder, brass, and loaded ammunition... I can find all of those at the moment, maybe not at ideal prices, but available nonetheless. I am ...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Bullets, powder, brass, and loaded ammunition... I can find all of those at the moment, maybe not at ideal prices, but available nonetheless.

I am still finding no joy on primers. A couple months ago Cabela's was at least talking back-orders, so I put in an order expecting to wait a few months or more. After updating the 'expected arrival' date several times, they finally just canceled it.

So, I got nothing. Is there anyplace out on tet intarwebz that will take orders for pistol primers? Large or small, regular or magnum, I don't much care.

Last question---I like Federal primers for my competition rounds, because they pretty much always go boom, even with light springs. After Federal, can anybody rank the other primers from soft to hard in case I really have to branch out?

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I wish I could help you locate some primers, but it's hit or miss at the best. If it doesn't straighten up soon, we're going to have to switch to paintball guns. But then there would be a shortage of CO2 cylinders.

As to brand, I've heard a lot of people say that CCI primers are the hardest. I have very light springs in all of my CAS handguns (about 1# trigger pulls) and I've never had a CCI primer fail to ignite. Only ignition failures I've ever had were with a Cimarron 1873 Winchester rifle that had too short a firing pin. After replacing the firing pin, no problems. In all honesty, in over 30 years of reloading I can't ever remember having a CCI primer fail and I use them almost exclusively when available.

Is there anyplace out on tet intarwebz that will take orders for pistol primers? Large or small, regular or magnum, I don't much care.
    You might check out Powder Valley. On all of their primer pages (except Wolf) they have the following posted:
    At this time we are not taking any new backorders for primers that are not listed here. We currently have over 50 million primers on backorder. If you currently have a backorder in place your order will be processed as primers become available. Once we begin receiving more primers from the manufacturers and are able to begin filling current backorders we will update the website.
    They DO list:
    FED LARGE PISTOL MAG MATCH PRIMERS
    FED SMALL PISTOL MATCH PRIMERS
    FED #200 SMALL PISTOL MAG PRIMERS
    WIN LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS
    WOLF LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS
    WOLF LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS
    WOLF SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS
    WOLF SMALL PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS
    Again, NONE of these are currently listed as in stock but since they are listed, you may be able to place a backorder.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I use mostly Winchester primers, but also have used CCI and Remington. I have had a few occasions when it took two strikes of the hammer to set off some CCI large rifle primers. They were in some 30-30 loads I made and I am willing to admit that it could have been my fault, not the primer's. I think that perhaps I just didn't fully seat about 5 of them out of the 40 rounds I loaded. So I can't blame the primers.

Since then, I have been certain to fully seat them and have had no trouble using CCI, Win, and Rem. I have used all of these brands at one time or another on small pistol, small rifle, and large rifle with no problems other than that one time.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

As of today Cabela's is listing a 1 week backorder on Remington, Magtech and Federal small pistol primers.

How accurate that is, I don't know.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I was on backorder with Cabela's for over 3 months and no luck.

I had a NOTIFY WHEN IN with Midway and scored both Remington and Winchester SPP after waiting 3 weeks.. They sent me an email and even though their website showed OUT OF STOCK I called and got what I needed.

Still looking for Large Pistol Primers though.

bosco

I have spent a truckload of $$$$ with Midway, and am on their "notify list". I have called several times within minutes of receiving an E-Mail notification. All the same story, "sorry, we're sold out". Have just taken my business elsewhere. Last time I asked what the limit was, and they said 5000 per order. Don't know if that is true or not, but so far as I am concerned they have lost one damned good customer. I'm taking my business where it is appreciated!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Hoss, I look in on PVI regularly, and they have (for some time now) not had an active link to place a backorder.

Majorlk, I just got the e-mail form Cabela's telling me they were canceling my backorder for pistol primers (great and small).

Midsouth is still taking backorders, apparently, so I put in an order with them today. We'll see what happens. I still have a few thousand of each, so I am not desperate yet, but I am trying to stay ahead of the usage curve...

Thanks for the info on the other primer brands, though!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Hoss, I look in on PVI regularly, and they have (for some time now) not had an active link to place a backorder............
    O.K., I just went to Powder Valley's site and though Federal small pistol magnum primers are listed and show out of stock, I entered a 5 in the amount column and clicked on add. Their usual confirmation window popped up to confirm what I was adding to my cart and I clicked O.K. I then went to checkout and it had them listed with no warnings about not being able to make a backorder. It allowed me to go on through the checkout process to the point where I would enter my credit card information at which point I stopped as I didn't really want to order them. I could be entirely wrong, but I believe if the product is listed there, even if it's out of stock, you can make a backorder for it. Could be worth a call to them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Majorlk, I just got the e-mail form Cabela's telling me they were canceling my backorder for pistol primers (great and small).
    I was only reporting what the web site showed.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have been cruising for primers since March and have recently been able to obtain what I needed. I had spent some time each day looking. Here are the places I have been able to buy from: Wideners, Natchez, Sinclair International, and Cabelas. I bought them all at regular prices which were about $30/K to the door.
    I have been posting on Tennessee Gun Owners forum when I found them but I will post here as well.

I have had good luck with local stores. I bought 1000 Winchester Small Pistol and 5000 Federal Small pistol primers in the last month from local gun shops.

I also just received an order from Cabelas placed back in march.

If Powder Valley lists primers on thier website you can place a back order. If a primer is not listed there is no back order.

Last question---I like Federal primers for my competition rounds, because they pretty much always go boom, even with light springs. After Federal, can anybody rank the other primers from soft to hard in case I really have to branch out?

Thanks!
    Soft to hard:
    a) Federal
    b) CCI
    c) Winchester

Not sure where Wolf fits in, but I believe somewhere between Federal and CCI.

FYI, I use Winchester and CCI almost exclusively and have never had a problem going BOOM!

Widener's of TN recently received a boat load of Wolf primers of all denominations. This their second shipment of the summer. They are out of sm pistol primers now but I would expect them to replenish sometime (no affiliation )

I got some over my house........Here is "SOME" of my stash.

I have something close to 10k at my house.

Links