Lee FCD 9mm on 380?

This is a discussion on Lee FCD 9mm on 380? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Simple question, can you safely use a Lee 9mm FCD on .380 ammunition? Isn't .380 using the same case just 2mm shorter than 9mm? I ...

Thread: Lee FCD 9mm on 380?

Lee FCD 9mm on 380?

Simple question, can you safely use a Lee 9mm FCD on .380 ammunition? Isn't .380 using the same case just 2mm shorter than 9mm? I was wondering if anyone has tried this or have any experience w/ this issue.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

I have not loaded .380 in years, and I never had a FCD when I did, so I can't say for sure. However, the .380 is a straight walled case and the 9mm is a tapered wall case, so there is more of a dimensional difference between the two than 2mm in length. I suppose you could try it and see, but it would be better to just get a .380 FCD.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Do you have a reloading manual. Go look at the dimensions of the case for the 380, and 9mm. As Landric said, there are differences in the dimensions besides the length of the case.

I would get a 380 FCD as well. Your gun, your fingers/eyes, or whatever else could be destroyed are much more valuable than a single die.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Don't do it!!!!!!!! There are significant differences between .380 and 9mm cases
    besides length. I know they both fire a .355 bullet, but one is straight while the other tapered. I use a separate die set for each caliber.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I don't think they are both .355. The .380 is actually .365, so it is a tad wider than a 9mm Luger. Try to put a .380 into the pipe of a 9mm and see what kind of jam you get out of it. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I don't think they are both .355. The .380 is actually .365, so it is a tad wider than a 9mm Luger. Try to put a .380 into the pipe of a 9mm and see what kind of jam you get out of it. :)
    Go look it up. The projectiles are the same diameter like autoslim said, you just use different weight bullets in the .380 and 9mm. Although I guess you could use a 100, or 115 gr bullet in both of them. The cases have different dimensions which is why you don't need to try to use a 9mm die on a .380 or visa versa.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

A 9mm factory crimp die would do aboslutly nothing on a 380 and a 9mm case would probably get stuck in a 380 FCD. IDs are the same, ODs are different. 380 brass is much thinner.

Just an all around dumb idea.

Links