Powder Advice

This is a discussion on Powder Advice within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by llred I will try to pick up another one today. I have Lyman's revolver and pistol manual right now, and it seems ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder Advice

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I will try to pick up another one today. I have Lyman's revolver and pistol manual right now, and it seems to have a variety of loads. I was just wondering what some of the personal choices were.
    Ken Waters Pet Loads is the best loading book I have ever bought. I research new loads in tow or three manuals, then flip over to Ken Waters to compare notes before I come to a decision on where to start and what powders to use. It has been an excellent resource for me. His book is pricey though, and not a necessity.

But you are definitely going to want 2 books, from different makers, at the minimum. The loading data will be different in each book, and in each edition. Just know that you should always cross check the information before you start.

2. Remove Ads

I got a few supplies last night. Pretty disappointed with the Pearland Bass Pro Shop. I am going to go to the Katy one Sat. to get the dies I need. I did get some Unique and WW 231 powders, along with 1,000 CCI small and large pistol primers. That particular store didn't have much beyond that. As stated before going to the one in Katy Sat. I've called ahead and they confirmed they did have the dies, brass, and bullets. I am also going to get a tumbler to clean the brass I have collected over the past 3 mo.

Now for tonight's project.... build a bench.

Finding 2 sleeves of primers is pretty good though. Good job there. Those three powders should give you a lot of play room too. Good luck on your dies and Tumbler purchase, it sounds like you are spending some cash right up front to get started, but the big initial purchases are almost complete at least.

Where are you putting your bench?

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Finding 2 sleeves of primers is pretty good though. Good job there. Those three powders should give you a lot of play room too. Good luck on your dies and Tumbler purchase, it sounds like you are spending some cash right up front to get started, but the big initial purchases are almost complete at least.

Where are you putting your bench?
    Ive got a 4 bay shop I live in at my families farm. I am thinking about putting casters on the bottom so I can roll it into my room or into the shop as needed. I am thinking something 6X4 for starters.

Make sure you add pic's of the bench, in the reloading bench thread…So we can all admire it...

UPDATE:

Went shopping sat and picked up some goodies. .45 acp & .38/.357 RCBS carbide dies, .45 acp brass, digital calipers, bullet puller, bullets for both .357 and .45acp. Only thing I couldn't find is the #6 shell holder for .357 mags.

Also have my bench framed out, going to put the counter top on tonight.

UPDATE:

Went shopping sat and picked up some goodies. .45 acp & .38/.357 RCBS carbide dies, .45 acp brass, digital calipers, bullet puller, bullets for both .357 and .45acp. Only thing I couldn't find is the #6 shell holder for .357 mags.

Congratulations on the successful (except for the shell holder) shopping trip.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

UPDATE:

I found a long time ago that buying one of these sets saves a lot of headaches.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I found a long time ago that buying one of these sets saves a lot of headaches.

Hoss
    They had two universal sets at BPS, one was a lee and one was the Lyman you showed. What sucked was both had 2-3 shell holders missing from them. I will pick up one of these sets pretty soon. The reason I was trying get everything from BPS is because I had some gift cards from there.

Unique

I saw that unique was used in the majority of pistol cartridges in the Lyman manual. I will try and pick up some. Atleast that will give me 2 powders to try and compare.
    I have been using Unique in my Ruger Gp100 .357Mag it works fine but, it has to be the dirtiest powder around and on the jug it says cleaner burning, can't imagine what it used to be like.

I use unique for everything from 9mm to 44 magnum
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A lot of people wil recommend Unique for most pistol application. However, I found AA#2 amd AA#5 to be more accurate and cleaner. I also use 2400 (particularly in my .44 mag), and although it is a "traditional" powder, I really don't like it much. It's dirty, doesn't burn completely, and has more recoil than other powders that generate the same fps results (I use AA#9 for my .44). Surprisingly, AA5% works really well in the .44 too, and I can download it for cowboy loads, which you can't do with 2400. I now tend to use AA#5 as my "one powder" for all pistol loads.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Here is my recommendation. Since you are first starting to reload, I would recommend you use one of the slower burning powders. The reason is they are more forgiving than the faster burning powders. An accidental double charge of Bullseye will blow up most 38 ca. handguns, and since you use a relatively small amount, a double charge would not be readily visible in the case. A double charge of Unique would be near the top of the case and would be quite visible because you use a bigger charge to begin with; plus, being off + or - .01 or .02 is not going to be as critical with a slower powder.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

[QUOTE=alnitak; I also use 2400 (particularly in my .44 mag), and although it is a "traditional" powder, I really don't like it much. It's dirty, doesn't burn completely, and has more recoil than other powders that generate the same fps results .[/QUOTE]

So, Old Issac Newton ,(and his therories), have been proven FALSE???

I agree that slower burning powders will tend to leave behind more residue, with a few exceptions. But to state that recoil is less at the same velocity with a faster/slower powder is simply not so !

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    So, Old Issac Newton ,(and his therories), have been proven FALSE???

I agree that slower burning powders will tend to leave behind more residue, with a few exceptions. But to state that recoil is less at the same velocity with a faster/slower powder is simply not so !
    Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. You'd be correct if bullet weight and velocity were the only factors in calculating recoil energy but they aren't. The weight of the powder charge must also be included. The chart below, created with the recoil calculator at Handloads.com shows the difference. The velocity I used was taken from the Sierra #5 manual using Unique and 2400. Both charge weights indicate a velocity of 1250 fps. Weight of the firearm is a S&W 6" 629. As you can see, free recoil energy for the Unique load (left) is 13.83 ft.lbs. while the 2400 load is 16.17 ft.lbs.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links