Depriming Live primers in press - Page 2

Depriming Live primers in press

This is a discussion on Depriming Live primers in press within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, Ended up trading the complete rounds for 400 primers. We both won out! J...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Depriming Live primers in press

Hey guys,

Ended up trading the complete rounds for 400 primers. We both won out!

J
    marcclarke likes this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I have primed several times on my progressive where the case got messed up in the deprimer and became unusable. I have deprimed probably 50 primers without incident and used them again, without incident. It isn't safe but it does work. This is all completely anecdotal but carries more weight that "I've never done it and that's why I've never had an accident". The question you have to ask yourself is "are you prepared for the consequence if something goes wrong?" That's pretty much the question to all of life's situations. Are you able to accept the consequences?

While I agree that the manuals all say one thing. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done that way. Many manuals cover their ass. I do not agree at all that if it was OK the manual would say so. Liability is a *****.

Are you guys actually going to tell me that you do exactly what every manual says for everything you have used or own? Everything?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

For crying out loud. Slow, stead pressure when decapping and be done with it. This isn't brain surgery done by a novice, it's a stupid primer.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Just go slow and push it out. If it makes you feel better, wear hearing protection. I push out at least one every loading session due to going in sideways, or some other reason (Lee Safety Prime). Never had one go off.

I always wear eye protection while loading anyway. Toss the primer, don't use it again.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

Without going into a long story, I'll just state the fact that depriming live primers is risky and dangerous. Six years or so past, I was depriming a large amount of previously loaded 9mm ammo. Maybe 2-300 successful deprimes, then it happened. To this day, I still have that small pistol primer lodged in my left hand. It went in at the center of my palm, and over the years has worked it's way toward the outer part of my palm below and under my pinkie finger to where you can physically see the bulge under the skin. Every once in a while, it makes it's presence known...I guess depending on the weather or activity. Yes....I did something stupid, but I've learned a lesson, and I'll never do it again.

All I know is I remember a lecture from Mani M. Mani M.D. director of the Burn Unit at KUMC. He said a large majority of the serious burn cases he see's in the burn unit are people who were doing something stupid that they've done hundreds of times before but had gotten away with it. And then, on that one time... they got bit! Things like fueling their cars with the engine running or smoking a cigarette while pumping gas. Using gasoline to clean parts or to start a camp fire.

In regards to depriming primed brass, sure you may get away with it, but it doesn't make it any less unsafe. Heck you may even do 500 rounds of that 600 round lot before you get bit.

I know nothing about reloading other than it's something I'd like to get into one day. However, I would caution you from doing things that are advised against doing in the reloading manuals and what several others here have cautioned against. They have also offered much safer options like trading the primed brass away for some new primers. Much easier to do, and safer in my estimation!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    One thing to take into consideration, is that there are many types and brands of primers. Will they be compatible with your powder charge? Might be excess pressure, etc. I wouldn't chance it. Sell the ammo and buy known primers.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Two words "Your Crazy"!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Glad you traded, that was your best bet. (although, if you traded 600 primed cases for 400 primers, it sounds like a lopsided trade to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    To this day, I still have that small pistol primer lodged in my left hand. It went in at the center of my palm, and over the years has worked it's way toward the outer part of my palm below and under my pinkie finger to where you can physically see the bulge under the skin. Every once in a while, it makes it's presence known...I guess depending on the weather or activity. Yes....I did something stupid, but I've learned a lesson, and I'll never do it again.
    So when the weather changes you have an "itchy trigger finger?"
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Well the 600 rounds were in a caliber I do not own a firearm for, and he did. So it was fair enough. Plus the 600 rounds cost me nada..it's ok.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links