Good place to buy dies

This is a discussion on Good place to buy dies within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hello all. I recently purchased a .223 rifle setup and I am starting to reload for this round. My friend has a couple of dillions ...

Thread: Good place to buy dies

Good place to buy dies

Hello all. I recently purchased a .223 rifle setup and I am starting to reload for this round. My friend has a couple of dillions setup and all I need are the die sets. I have done a bit of research, but I was hoping someone here might have a good place for buying die sets.

I am looking for a dillion .223 set and an RCBS .223 crimp die (I guess the RCBS crimp die is better for precision reloading).

Thanks in advance!
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

2. Remove Ads

If you want Dillon dies, the best place is straight from Dillon. Are you loading for a bolt rifle or an AR-15 platform? For the most part, I like Hornady dies but if you are loading for an AR, you may want to consider a RCBS Small Base Set to ensure better functioning in the semi-auto. If you plan on loading a lot of ammo, you may also want to consider the Dillon Carbide .223 die. These still require you to lube your cases, but they will last a lifetime (or more). For a crimp die, you really can't beat the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have one for virtually every caliber I load.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Do you need a crimp die for handgun calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    Do you need a crimp die for handgun calibers?
    Absolutely. Seating dies will usually seat and crimp in one operation but I much prefer to use a separate crimping die.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Absolutely. Seating dies will usually seat and crimp in one operation but I much prefer to use a separate crimping die.

Hoss
    Just saw that the 3 die set had a seating/crimping die. Sorry for the confusion, I am new to all of this.

I am loading for a bolt gun. I guess the reason I need an RCBS crimp die is my friend with the loading system says they work better for precision ammo then the standard dillion crimp that comes with the set. Me being a novice I am just taking his advice. I will check the dillion page, I have found though that the factory pages usually charge a bit more then other retailers, but being new to reloading I don't know too many places that sell the stuff. Thanks for the pointers.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

O.K., if you're loading for a bolt gun and all of your brass is either new or has only been fired from the rifle you are reloading for, I'd get a neck sizing die. Works the brass much less and since the round now fits the chamber it was fired in, you'll usually get more accurate ammunition.
    I guess the reason I need an RCBS crimp die is my friend with the loading system says they work better for precision ammo then the standard dillion crimp that comes with the set.
    I've been wrong before, but I don't see a crimp only die offered by RCBS. I know they sometimes make special dies exclusively for different companies as I have a 45/70 taper crimp die I use for my Sharps that was made for Dixie Gun Works. I still believe that there is no better crimping die than the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

As far as prices on Dillon equipment, Dillon doesn't have many authorized retailers and most that I've found on the net are selling for exactly the same price as Dillon themselves. If it's the same price, I'm buying straight from the manufacturer.

Also, if you're trying to load precision ammo for a bolt gun, a progressive press isn't always the best choice. Not that it can't be done, but it will limit your powder choices as some types of powder don't like to feed through a powder dispenser plus using a progressive press eliminates your ability to use some specialty dies like the RCBS Competition Seating Die.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links